Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Veggie Aversion

(14 Posts)
Wonkytrolley Sat 18-May-13 18:06:15

I'm 8 weeks pregnant, and have seriously lost my appetite, and have loads of food aversions. I'm basically eating cornflakes and cream crackers, and the odd spaghetti bolognaise.

I'm managing a little bottle of innocent smoothie every day, so getting my '2 fruit portions' a day. But I'm feeling really guilty as I'm eating hardly any veggies. I am taking Pregnacare vitamins, but I know it's no real substitution.

Is this phase likely to last long? I can't wait to eat normally again!

Wonky

fanjodisfunction Sat 18-May-13 18:29:53

Try not to worry, I'm 16 weeks and only now can I stomach looking touaching veggies and fruit. My midwife told me that during the first trimester just eat what you can, the second try to eat healthy, and well that's what I'm trying and so far its ok. I actually started to crave avocado at week 11.

Have a chat with your midwife at booking in.

JennaRainbow Sat 18-May-13 18:35:46

Don't worry! I had about 4 weeks of only eating stodge. Chips, meat, toast, more toast, more chips. I'm now 14 weeks and for at least 3 weeks have been pretty much back to normal so am stocking up on fruit, veg and fish. Just hope it stays like this now!

megarobotdiscoparty Sat 18-May-13 18:55:34

Wasn't til 18 weeks I started being able to touch vegetables again! Just about 40 weeks now and all I've wanted to eat for the past month is avocado salad and chocolate biscuits. Try not to worry too much!

EagleRiderDirk Sat 18-May-13 18:58:22

With Dd I ate a diet if strawberries and ready salted crisps for the first trimester. It does go within the second trimester. You're better off eating something than nothing. Congratulations BTW.

PixieBaby Sat 18-May-13 21:59:51

Hello, I am 29 weeks and I found that I totally went off leafy green veg (usually my fave) in the first trimester. I replaced them with other stuff like carrots and cauliflower. Also massively craved citrus so I just pigged out on oranges, grapefruit etc. erm and a lot of crisps, which I found helped with nausea.

Just eat what you can and try to find stuff that your body feels good about. Eaglerider is right - don't beat yourself up, just do what you can and you'll probably feel very different as the pregnancy progresses. The most important thing is to be kind to yourself right now. Congrats!!

LoganMummy Sat 18-May-13 22:03:47

Agree with just eat what you can. I found things like baked beans and spaghetti hoops were good and I think they also count as one of your five a day (might want to check).

PinkApple86 Sun 19-May-13 08:03:18

I had this in the first trimester too. all I could stomach was salty chips, Pringles and crackers due to sickness. my midwife said take prenatal vits and try to drink smoothies like u have and she said try veg soup as it might be easier to stomach. I think the baby craves what it needs that's why I craved carbs for fuel to grow him. now I'm back to eating normally but can't get enough beef and normally I don't like it much. smile

Alexandra6 Sun 19-May-13 08:27:49

I have the same - is there any fruit you fancy? I've found certain fruit - melon, satsumas etc goes down well.

Grumpla Sun 19-May-13 09:15:02

I ate apples, cheese, and white bread for about four months of my second pregnancy. Everything else made me feel incredibly sick, especially vegetables of any kind (bar the odd potato). DS2 is a massive, ruddy-cheeked picture of health and I am back on the broccoli now grin I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Eletheomel Sun 19-May-13 09:46:33

With DS I had horrible morning sickness in first and second trimester and all I wanted to eat was stodgy white carbs (I seemed to live on toast, waffles and chips). Everytime I had a piece of fruit or vegetables I would barf (had difficulty keeping liquids down and when i came upon the idea of having melon as a way of getting fruit and liquid in i was so chuffed...until 5 minutes later when it reappeared!)

And I'm a vegetarian, so going off fruit and veg was a nightmare!

However, I had a good diet before I fell pregnant so had a stock of good minerals and vitamins in me that saw me through and DS came out totally fine and I never needed iron supplements or anything.

Try not to worry, remember that your baby will take all the nutrients it needs and you get left with the sloppy leftovers - so even if you feel you're eating rubbish, your baby will still manage to get all it needs.

Also, for me, once I got to 26 weeks my desire for fruit and veg came back with a vengeance and my diet in the third trimester was great.

littlemonkey2013 Sun 19-May-13 10:57:31

I went off fruit and veg except apples. But eating more normally now at 14 weeks. If you ate variety before then you have lots of nutrients in your body to use up first. And anyway cornflakes are prob one of the better carbs as usually they are fortified with iron and other vitamins and if you have with milk then it's calcium. I say eat what you can for now and hopefully you will feel like more veggies later.

Luciferswench Sun 19-May-13 11:03:34

Im 21wks and its a wonder i got through the 1st stage as i struggled to keep anything down lived on small portions of dry breakfast cereals. Since 14wk salad vegetables are fine massive beetroot cravings. However fresh fruit juice, broccoli and carrots make me sick.
Can barely stomach milk. I try and compensate with Cheese and yogurts.
My main diet consists of pork, apple and stuffing sandwiches, cheese salad, beef crisps, chips and iru bru.

fruitypie Sun 19-May-13 13:35:02

My first 10 weeks i lived off beans on toast, peanut butter on toast and bananas! Felt terrible at first but then it was all i could stomach!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now