Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Bizarre craving for charcoal!

(37 Posts)
Wallace Mon 22-May-06 20:57:44

Don't ask me how I know that is what I want, I just know! What can I eat instead that will satisfy the craving?

WideWebWitch Mon 22-May-06 20:58:26

Isn't that called pica? No idea what will work though, sorry!

WideWebWitch Mon 22-May-06 20:58:54

Sorry, it's not, just looked it up, ignore me!

marthamoo Mon 22-May-06 21:05:59

I thought it was called pica too. What's pica then? My friend found herself drooling over rust when she was pregnant - she wanted to lick rusty cars...she resisted, thankfully.

marthamoo Mon 22-May-06 21:07:22

Sorry that wasn't helpful was it? Isn't there research that shows cravings for such weird things can be your body telling you you're missing some vital vitamin or mineral? Maybe taking a multi-vit (for pregnant women) might help?

moondog Mon 22-May-06 21:09:09

It is Pica.
God,wouldn't say no to a lovely crunchy chunk meself.....

Eat it,do you good.

notasheep Mon 22-May-06 21:10:11

i had the bizarre craving in pregnancy thingy-try toothpaste,its on the list of cravings along with coal( abit like charcoal)

i use to sneak into the bathroom to have a blob of Macleans.
Didnt harm me or baby.

I am being serious,dp thought i was addicted.it did pass

stitch Mon 22-May-06 21:11:03

not weird at all, i remember hearing about women craving and actually eating mud during pregnancy.
its all about your body needing some essential mineral, or vitamin. so either eat the charcoal, or get some multivitamins,

Wallace Mon 22-May-06 21:14:22

Mmmm...rusty cars, now that sounds like it would be worth a try

I wonder if I could be anaemic. I forgot to get my 26 week bloods done (am 30 weeks) so I need to get them done soon or my midwife will be cross. Should I mention my cravings, or will I just seem nuts?

kayzed Mon 22-May-06 23:36:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

spacedonkey Mon 22-May-06 23:38:20

my mum craved (and ate) coal and soil during one of her pregnancies

JoolsToo Mon 22-May-06 23:42:44

just as an aside - is folic acid given to pregnant mums these days? it was standard in the 70's

jellyjelly Tue 23-May-06 09:10:58

You should mention it to the midwife when you go for your bloods and yes it is called pica because your body needs something in what you crave.

Pinchypants Tue 23-May-06 11:28:18

Interesting fact: the latin name for a magpie is 'Pica pica'. The weird food cravings are called pica after the magpie, which has a 'large and indiscriminate appetite', apparently.

Never say you don't learn useful stuff on Mumsnet...

Pinchy xx

zippitippitoes Tue 23-May-06 11:29:38

yopu can buy charcoal biscuits

CountessDracula Tue 23-May-06 11:31:20

i could dig the black ones out of the dog's biccies and send to you

zippitippitoes Tue 23-May-06 11:32:13

maybe it's heart burn

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-06 11:39:39

Try here or here . Think you can get them in Waitrose too.

Carmenere Tue 23-May-06 11:42:24

I had a weird craving for chewing bath sponges when I was pregnant . Dp used to catch me having an illict chew every so often - and it had to be the fake ones, the natural sponge just wouldn't do!
Very odd!

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-06 11:52:31

I think there's a gap in the market here - those people who make Preggie Pops (mint, ginger etc, supposed to relieve morning sickness) should make Cravey Pops in a variety of popular craved flavours - I think Mud, Rust, Charcoal and Pickle would be top, but I can see Bath Sponge catching on...

Carmenere Tue 23-May-06 11:53:05

SquarewaysHereWeCome Tue 23-May-06 11:55:11

You can buy charcoal tablets too you know. Had to buy them for the dog once to curb a particularly nasty bout of flatulence

leggymamba Tue 23-May-06 11:59:03

I had a thing for chalk - found myself walking into elc to buy their non-toxic stuff. Munched my way through a whole box,, I always had a piece on me! Give into the craving it feels good!!!

But check with your midwife first!!

bubble99 Tue 23-May-06 12:04:59

Chalk for me, too. I was the ELC's best customer for a while. Also, tiling grout. The smell of a newly tiled bathroom was too good to resist.

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-06 12:18:43

[notes Chalk as potential Cravey Pops flavour]

keep 'em coming - never craved anything more exciting than gherkins...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: