Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Less likely to tear in birthing pool?

(8 Posts)
ButteryJam Sat 18-May-13 12:20:27

Hi,

Am I less likely to tear if I give birth in a birthing pool? I'm not too keen on a birthing pool as I've never been big on swimming pools (phobia of shallow swimming pools) and the birthing pools look really deep ...blush

BigBongTheory Sat 18-May-13 13:37:08

I had a second degree tear with DC1 in the pool and a second degree tear with DC2 out of a pool.

Your midwife should have a good idea whether or not there's a difference though.

ButteryJam Sat 18-May-13 14:16:01

BigBongTheory, thanks, do you mean the midwife that sees me on the day or any midwife?

SoupDragon Sat 18-May-13 14:21:36

If you have a phobia of shallow swimming pools, a birthing pool probably isn't for you. smile

Queazy Sat 18-May-13 18:40:18

I don't think the birthing pools are deep, but if you have a phobia of them, perhaps don't take on getting over that phobia at the same time as preparing for childbirth. I think tearing can happen either way, but trying to sort a birthing pool as I have spd and apparently it might help in some way to alleviate additional pain from that. To be honest, spd will be the last of my worries, but fingers crossed... smile

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 18-May-13 19:15:52

I've been told by an antenatal teacher that birthing pool can lessen likelihood of tearing upmto a point, but if you're in for more than about 4 hours continuously it can actually increase chances of a tear as the tissues then get more fragile. I'm planning to use one if poss for my DC2 (due in three weeks) as that should in theory be a quicker labour than first time round...

Vividmemories Sat 18-May-13 19:39:44

The second part of your post suggests you shouldn't go for a water birth!

I had a water birth at a MLU and had second degree tear.

sprite25 Sun 19-May-13 10:57:23

I dont know whether being in a pool can stop tearing but you could try perineal massage? It looks and sounds rather icky but apparently its meant to gently stretch and soften the area to help avoid tearing???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now