Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pilates or Yoga?

(12 Posts)
Wonkytrolley Sat 18-May-13 08:17:27

Which is best in pregnancy? Added to the 'pregnant' reasons for doing it, I've had a bad back for years due to weak core muscles.

Any suggestions as to which would be better?

Wonky

islingtongirl Sat 18-May-13 09:48:55

I personally prefer Pilates but that's just me - I found it works my core more and gives me more of a 'workout' than yoga (I do reformer Pilates). I am considering doing some yoga classes now I am a bit further along though (26 weeks) for the relaxation and keeping supple side of things. There are a lot of different types of yoga though - although I don't know whether yoga in pregnancy tends to stick to just one 'type' - am sure someone with more k knowledge than me will come along to help! Have you found some pregnancy specific classes? I still do my regular Pilates classes but I'm lucky in that my instructor is trained in pre and post natal Pilates - a number of exercises have to be modified for me now I'm getting bigger. Still really enjoy it though!

Aoifebelle Sat 18-May-13 09:51:54

islington girl where is your class. I got dumped out of mine when up duffed. Haven't found anything affordable since.

islingtongirl Sat 18-May-13 09:54:33

Bootcamp Pilates (city/Hoxton one) - trainer is Samantha, she is v nice. Been going for years. Are you in London too?

islingtongirl Sat 18-May-13 09:55:36

Ps not the cheapest, but think I have been numbed to the cost as been going so long! I personally think its worth it though, but bogs would love if was cheaper

islingtongirl Sat 18-May-13 09:56:05

Bogs?! I meant "obvs"!!

Aoifebelle Sat 18-May-13 10:03:30

I live in Hackney and work in islington. Will check it out but I have never done reformer only mat, so probably best not top start now!

megarobotdiscoparty Sat 18-May-13 10:27:53

I teach pre and post natal Pilates. I'm not sure I would say one is better than the other, as they're both quite different. A good pre-natal Pilates class will get your body strengthened and stabilised for pregnancy and birth (and post-natally will assist your recovery and pull your body back into alignment) whereas I believe pre-natal Yoga -though I'm certainly no expert- looks more at birth positions, breathing and relaxation as well as gentle stretch. Welcome any additional input from MN yogis?

If you're looking to improve your core strength though, there's really no contest - Pilates all the way!

Aoifebelle Sat 18-May-13 11:07:35

I have done both and agree, Pilates seems to be a much more efficient way to build and maintain core strength, but classes for pregnant ladies seem to be as rare as hens teeth, unless you are prepared to pay for 1 to1. Even most ante natal yoga classes seem to be in the middle of weekdays, cos all us pregnant ladies don't have to work, innit.
I live in Hackney and work in islington and haven't been able to find any ante natal Pilates classes.if anyone finds any please let me know.

drcharliegirl Sat 18-May-13 11:34:37

wrong side of london, but I went to fantastic group antenatal pilates classes with Dina from bodybeautifulpilates.com in Chelsea.
She charges 17GBP per class, but you get a discount if you book more than one class. I found them incredibly helpful as I have a bad back from pre-pregnancy follies, and it has helped me stay totally mobile all the way to term.

I have no experience of yoga to offer though...

islingtongirl Sat 18-May-13 11:52:23

Aoifebelle - try Frame in Shoreditch, they def have ante natal Pilates but think the class is a weekday lunchtime which I can't make due to work unfort. Used to go to their classes a lot until got pregnant - really enjoyed it there. Going to go again whe start mat leave if not too late to start, 8 weeks and counting!!!

Quodlibet Sat 18-May-13 22:00:04

Reformer Pilates is brilliant (did it before I was pg and totally credit it with finally sorting my back problem). At Bootcamp and at Ten Pilates in Notting Hill you can train when pg. it is expensive (less so if ou boo locks) but I think the transformation in terms of core stability is really rapid so worth it IMO. And it has saved me a fortune in osteopath fees.

I enjoy yoga too - no reason you can't do both - both systems help you learn different things about your body and the way it moves. Aoife if you are in Hackney, Yoga On The Lane on Shacklewell Lane is excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now