Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anti-d injection after ectopic & abortion?

(9 Posts)
knd01 Fri 17-May-13 20:15:01

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, i'm new!
I am 25 weeks pregnant. I had an abortion at about 12 weeks about 5 years ago - no anti-d injection. I then had an ectopic that ruptured - no anti-d injection.
Only this pregnancy did I find out that I have RH-neg blood. So far all my indirect coombs blood tests have come back negative which is good.
What will happen this pregnancy? Will I need an anti-d injection? I now know I should of had one with the abortion/ectopic. But I didnt as my RH factor wasn't tested for. It makes it more confusing as I now live abroad. I can't seem to find any info on this type of situation on the internet.

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 17-May-13 20:22:03

Yes you will need an anti d injection at about 28 weeks (and poss another one at 34, though I didn't need the second one). Then, after your baby is born, if it's positive you'll need a further anti d but if it's negative like you, you won't. Think that's right, anyway?!

looneytune Fri 17-May-13 20:26:50

You should have received them, you're right, however if you're bloods have come back so far with 'no antibodies detected' then you should be fine as your body would have created them if the if any of the babies had been + and blood had crossed over. If you were in UK, you'd know by now whether or not antibodies had been detected and if not, I believe nothing else would happen unless you had a bleed (I've had loads of anti ds due to tiny bleeds so any blood counts). Apart from that, in the UK we now got a routine Anti D at around 30 weeks 'just in case' (i did't have this as, long story, i actually know my baby is also RHNeg) and then a sample is taken of the baby's cord blood at delivery. If baby has positive blood then give you an anti-d within 72 hours.

HTH

Fakebook Fri 17-May-13 20:58:47

You should have received them, but, I think I've read somewhere that early mc's/abortions before the placenta is formed don't really require an anti-D injection. Saying that, I had the jab for 3 of my early miscarriages just in case.

If your two previous baby's blood type was same as yours then it won't have made a difference either which may be another reason why your results are coming back clear. It's not really a question of needing the shots. I always thought of them as safe guarding for the next pregnancy. I'm currently pregnant with my last baby to complete our family and I'm contemplating refusing the shots as I know I won't be having another baby.

With DD 6 years ago I received two shots, one at 28 weeks and one at 36, but they've scrapped the 28 week one now, and give one big shot at 36 weeks and then one after birth.

BlackholesAndRevelations Fri 17-May-13 21:05:00

I had the 28 week one when pregnant with my now three year old, and again at 28 weeks with my 19 month old.

knd01 Sat 18-May-13 09:04:08

Thanks for all your responses. I now know I should of had them but I wasn't given the choice, at the time of the abortion and ectopic I wasn't even told I was RH-neg! My doc is aware of my history and he too cannot understand why I was not given an anti-d or even informed of my blood type!

laurajane89 Sat 18-May-13 11:36:03

You will have one at 28 weeks and then after the birth if the baby is also negative, you will only need it more after the 28 weeks if you have a bleed because i have had 3 bleeds after 28weeks and was told i have to have it after every bleed. Hope this helps

PixieBaby Sat 18-May-13 22:24:32

I am Rhesus -ve and had the injection last week (28 weeks). The midwife said that it used to be two injections but is now only one during the pregnancy.

Good luck!

Luciferswench Sun 19-May-13 11:29:53

Im Rhesus neg and ive got two anti D booked in at 28 wks and then at 34/36 can remember exactly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now