Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Pregnancy after prolapsed disc?

(9 Posts)
cornflowercrabtree Fri 17-May-13 17:33:30

Wasn't 100% sure where to post this.

I had a microdiscetomy for a lumbar prolapsed disc around 3 months ago. It was a big prolapse and surgeon said it's unlikely to prolapse again as most of the material has been removed. The other discs are fine and my recovery great. Physio said my core strength is way above average for a healthy person, due to hobbies that I was able to continue with despite the prolapsed disc.

Sorry about all this info..... I wondered if there was any experience among you great people with pregnancy after a microdiscectomy? I'm terrified of becoming pregnant and ruining all the surgeon's work. Despite what my surgeon said about the disc I am still worried about re-prolapse or prolapse of another disc. I'm also worried about vaginal delivery and the pressure on my back. Ideally I'd wait to ttc for a year, but I'm desperate to start asap (I'm 30 this year and we're ready for a family). I was thinking of a compromise of another 3 months, so 6 months after surgery.

So, I know you're not doctors or experts, but I'd really appreciate some anecdotal information, especially since the medical profession weren't very forthcoming. My surgeon was very blasé and my physio wasn't sure about it.

Anyway, will be joining the waiting to ttc thread soon!!!!

SoYo Fri 17-May-13 17:38:48

Hi Cornflower,

I've seen it quite a few times. You're unlikely to re-prolapse the same disc but if you're prone to prolapses then the risk is increased in pregnancy of having another, basically due to the hormones softening the ligaments. It's still very unlikely though, of the women I've seen with previous disc surgery I've only seen 1 with another prolapse in pregnancy.

As for delivery there is no concern with vaginal delivery after discectomy and it isn't an indication for section unless you do have problems in the current pregnancy.

Hope that helps.

cornflowercrabtree Fri 17-May-13 18:10:16

Thanks SoYo, that's very reassuring to hear.

FoofFighter Fri 17-May-13 18:42:41

I have herniated discs, untreated as was due for the surgery but got a positive in the pre-op work up the day before (then went on to mc that pregnancy) but am now pregnant again almost 28wks and tbh the only trouble I have had so far is with an increase in the leg cramps/numbness/nerve twinges/pain.

I understand your worry though as the bigger I get the more I worry about it happening again but as I say touch wood all ok so far. Slightly worried about implications of needing a spinal block as obviously things are a bit squished and it might not be possible to get one in safely/the right place.

If you do a search there are some other chats in this board about people having had discectomies and then getting pg.

essexgirl31 Fri 17-May-13 18:57:38

I slipped a disc and got my BFP about 2 months later. I had no problems at all during the pregnancy. My orthopaedic surgeon who I saw during pregnancy - about a different problem - was not concerned about the disc at all.

Tequilatequila Sat 18-May-13 00:56:50

Hi cornflower!
Ive had a microdiscectomy.. my disc had prolapsed so bad it cut across the spinal cord and paralysed me below the waist before the op. I found lots of really useful info on the spinal cord injuries association website. They do like information days around the country too. One is called becoming a parent after spinal cord injury and i found it really helpful..

Im due next week and my neurosurgeon thinks that the chances of it happening again are quite low.

It only actually sliced my spinal cord at one level but 8 of my other discs are bulging so i completely understand your concerns.

You just have to take things easy... medication is tricky when pregnant but vaginal delivery is really safe. Im going for a water birth to ease the pressure but nobody seems overly concerned!

Best of luck. Hope that was of some reassurance lve done a lot of searching for people in similar situations and there really are loads of people out there. Life goes on and you can do anything x

Tequilatequila Sat 18-May-13 00:59:42

Ooh the only other thing i forgot is try andget an aneasthetist appt to go over pain options when you are pregnant as you might want to avoid an epidural or spinal x

cornflowercrabtree Sat 18-May-13 13:07:02

Tequila that sounds awful! My prolapse was the L5S1 level, I actually love my scar it has made a little dinple line that's very cute. Im hoping that the scar is so small pain options wont be too much of a prob (im a massive wuss!).

Thanks so much all for replying, I do feel a lot happier now smile

SoYo Sat 18-May-13 17:56:53

Cornflower that's quite a bit lower than the level for an epidural or spinal so that shouldn't be too much of a problem but you can ask to see an anaesthetist during pregnancy to discuss that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now