Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can the mucus plug come away in bits over a few days?

(8 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Fri 17-May-13 16:41:33

So I'm 40w tomorrow and over the last few days have been having much more blobby discharge (sorry!!) I thought it was just increased discharge but I wonder now if it's actually been the mucus plug coming away? Could it be either? Last time my mucus plug came away all in one go a few days before I went into labour!

I'm at the point where I'm reading into everything-would obviously be so much more convenient to go into labour over the weekend!

5madthings Fri 17-May-13 16:45:29

Yes it can do this and it reforms is your body makes more of it as you lose it.

So long as its not bloody or smelly which would indicate an infection its very normal for it to come away gradually like this.

Obviously if its bloody or smells then get checked out smile

NoTeaForMe Fri 17-May-13 16:49:35

Oh-so your body just makes more, so it doesnt necessarily mean that labour is imminent then?!

Can I still have sex after the plug has gone-assuming that's what it was?!

5madthings Fri 17-May-13 16:51:33

Doesn't mean lab our is imminent no, mine went weeks before I went into lab our.. But it is a sign your body is getting ready.

You can still have sex as baby is in the amniotic sac and so sealed and no risk of infection etc.

Cookethenook Fri 17-May-13 17:06:26

Yep, it certainly can. I lost mine 3 weeks ago in bits and unfortunately, i'm still waiting for DS to arrive!

NoTeaForMe Fri 17-May-13 17:08:55

Hmm, these answers weren't actually what I was hoping for! I might stick my fingers in my ears and sing! The correct response is ... Yes it can come away in pieces and labour is guaranteed to start within 2 days! Thankyou!

cupcake78 Fri 17-May-13 18:06:34

Very common for it to renew itself. Doesn't mean a lot I'm afraid.

beckie90 Fri 17-May-13 18:50:44

I start loosing mine in bits ages before. Ds2 started to come away in bits around 30wks and I've been loosing it in this pregnancy last few weeks n I'm only 28wks it can reform, mine comes away early cause I had some damage to my cervix, but it does mean its starting to change at least smile good luck hope something happens soon for you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now