Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

intent to return to work

(8 Posts)
lexib Fri 17-May-13 12:16:08

Can anyone offer any advice on the rules on this? Basically, I'd like to take the full year, and work's confirmed that's fine - I'll just come back to a similar role rather than the same, but at the same salary. I'm fine with that.
However, i don't want to chop my nose off to spite my face - if we run low on money for some reason I might by 6 months wish I'd told them a shorter period. As I understand, i can say six months and then extend if needed, but if we are fine for money I really dont want work to disturb us.
Probably totally over thinking this, but what do you think?

TinkyPeet Fri 17-May-13 12:20:15

Iirc, you get a letter sent to you or given to you confirming the details of your maternity leave, and that gives you a date that yypu are expected to be back in work (1 year from leaving date) but it says that if at any time you wish to return sooner or not return at all, you have to give written notice of this a month before. That's what happened with me anyway last time, but if you're unsure just ask your boss or hr department what the notice period of early return would be should you change your mind down the line xx hth xx

lexib Fri 17-May-13 12:21:48

Thanks tinky! Xx

WillYouDoTheFandango Fri 17-May-13 12:51:13

At my work they presume you're taking 1 year and you write to them giving 8 weeks notice of intent to return.

MrsBri Fri 17-May-13 13:32:31

8 weeks' notice is the official amount required as per the terms of SMP. Your employer could allow less, but that's at their discretion.

Alexandra6 Fri 17-May-13 17:37:45

I thought you have to tell them how much you intend to take? My work will certainly ask (and I don't think they'll approve of a year which is what I intend to take). I was thinking of saying I want to warn them it could be a year, in case it is, as I'd rather say that and come back sooner than the other way round. Although I presume if they sort maternity cover out for a year, they won't be able to afford me back sooner (small company). Either way, I think I'll def take a year, money allowing.

Are you planning to go back full time? I think I could only go back part time but I guess it's sensible to wait until the time (i.e. towards the end of mat leave) to talk about that with them.

LouiseD29 Fri 17-May-13 18:52:40

I'm pretty sure you don't have to commit before you go - my work is similar - I've given them an estimate, but I can change it at any time - as long as I give them the required notice. Your company should have a policy on this - can you ask them?

YBR Fri 17-May-13 21:29:12

The process at my workplace, I think because it's mandatory, is that the employer assumes you're taking a year and you have to notify if you're coming back early. 8 weeks is the statutory notice period but I'm sure it's possible to agree less it it suits both parties.

My employer has a strange system where I get paid for Bank Hols while on Maternity leave (at the usual rate), but they actually pay it all at the beginning of ML. If I'd come back earlier without notifying them before I left, I'd have to pay that money back. Please check for things like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now