Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Measuring big for 34 weeks.

(7 Posts)
bowlingforsoup Fri 17-May-13 10:55:31

Hi

Been to see my midwife this morning. She measured my bump and im measuring at 39 weeks but im only 34 weeks.

I've to go for a scan to see what size baby appears to be. I'm massive and very uncomfortable for 34 weeks.

Has anyone else been in this situation? What happened?

Sheshelob Fri 17-May-13 11:01:07

They didn't catch on to the behemoth I was incubating until I was 41 weeks, mainly because I am tall so baby had room to hide. They worked out he was 10lb 9oz the day before I went into labour, but reassured me they always measured bigger.

He was 10lb 10oz when he was born two days later.

Just get them to talk through the realities of delivering a big baby so you can decide what your real options are.

Good luck!

Chesterado Fri 17-May-13 19:11:21

Sorry no helpful advice just watching with interest as at my 34 week check earlier this week I measured 36 and have gone from the 90th centile to off the scale...

Waiting for 36 weeks appt when they will decide whether to send me for a growth scan. Good luck, hope there is a straightforward outcome!

SauceForTheGander Fri 17-May-13 19:23:12

Yes I was measuring big for my DC3 . MW didn't say much though this happened at every check up. I went two weeks over and wound up having a 10lb10oz baby !

I was massive and the MW who delivered baby was pissed off it hadn't been flagged.

cupcake78 Fri 17-May-13 20:43:23

In exactly the same situation! Saw consultant this week who basically said throw the tape measure away. He felt my bump and has confirmed baby is a good size and if it hasn't appeared by my due date they'll start to encourage it along (sweep etc).

Springforward Fri 17-May-13 20:55:24

I'd wait until the growth scan before worrying too much. In this pregnancy I had two consecutive massive measurements which were shown to be spurious at scan, which put baby back onto 75th centile (a rather more manageable 8lbs). Bizarrely every tape measurement since has confirmed this, as did the 2nd growth scan. Must have been having a podgy couple of weeks....

beckie90 Fri 17-May-13 21:05:06

I'm concerned about this, my last ds was 9ibs (an increase of 2.7ibs to my previous ds) and I measured normal with him so it wasn't picked up, as I'm relatively small framed he got stuck. I'm now having my 3rd ds, and had my first measure yest at nearly 28wks and I already measure 2wks ahead. He feels a lot bigger then ds2 did at this point when he moves around. So really worried. And midwife told me same procedure will still remain, sweep at 41wk and induced at 2wk over, which scares me I went over 2wk with ds1 (6ib 8) and ds2 was on time. So really worried about going over xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now