Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

is no news good news?

(5 Posts)
urtwistingmymelonman Fri 17-May-13 04:57:33

hi all,
just a bit of advice please.
had my booking appointment four weeks ago today and my bloods were taken.
im just wondering if my results would have come through by now and if so would the midwife have contacted me if the results had been abnormal?
thanks.

Blankiefan Fri 17-May-13 06:12:27

Hiya. I was told that they only get back to you on bloods if there's something wrong (apart from the Downs blood test where they let you know either way). I was also told (again, apart from the Downs) that they send the result to your midwife and you get told at your next apt.

One of the tests at my booking apt needed follow up and they did it at my scan apt. It was fine but they didn't bother telling me!

Also, when it comes to the Downs tests (if you decide to have it), they say that the longer they take to come back to you, the better.

It's still early days for me (16 weeks) but so far I've been pretty unimpressed by how well they communicate with you. They just seem to want to get on with their "pathways" and have to be pushed a bit to spend time explaining things. Don't by shy of asking questions and not accepting rubbish/vague answers. If you're worried, give them a buzz but I'd have thought they'd get in touch if anything was wrong.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 17-May-13 06:23:27

Same here as Blankie they just leave the results unless they need something done as a follow up.

I did have my downs results posted to me. Did you have that test/screen?

I did request they print out my results at one appointment rather than just leaving them on screen.

When is your next app?

Try not to worry.

Blankiefan Fri 17-May-13 07:02:08

By the way,if you don't know if you has the Downs test, you probably won't have. They ask you if you want it and get you to sign to say you do! They didn't tell me what the bloods were for at my booking apt - just took pints of the stuff!

(to put your mind at rest, unless you have pre-existing medical conditions, I don't think the booking apt blood tests are anything particularly scary. From what I can make out, they tested for things like rubella immunity, anaemia etc.)

urtwistingmymelonman Fri 17-May-13 10:06:31

thanks a lot ladies. ive got twelve week scan on Monday and having the nuchal translucency then.
Im waiting till then before phoning midwife to make my 16 week app so I will ask her about bloods on the phone.
good luck with your pregnancys

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now