Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Am I supposed to feel like this?

(10 Posts)
Futterby Fri 17-May-13 00:04:21

I'm twelve weeks pregnant and I'm so upset and angry, all the time. I don't even want to get out of bed. I've lost all motivation for everything and have fallen behind on my degree because I just don't care anymore. I'm fighting with my partner constantly and am always a tiny push away from bursting into tears. I just feel like I can't be arsed doing anything productive, ever again.

I had severe depression in the past and I'm really worried it's coming back. Does anyone else feel like this? Should I see my GP? Is it normal to feel like this in early pregnancy?

Thanks flowers

Futterby Fri 17-May-13 00:26:23

Nobody? sad

Jojobump1986 Fri 17-May-13 00:44:49

I felt rather like that during the first few months this time but it was mostly because I had severe nausea/dizziness/exhaustion & could barely get out of bed. I've also had depression in the past & there were moments when I felt like it might be coming back but mostly I felt like it was depression without actually feeling 'down'!

It's definitely worth getting in touch with your GP or midwife. It's possible it's just the hormones but it could be antenatal depression so it's well worth getting it checked. You're the best judge of how you're feeling & you know what depression feels like. If you're feeling like it's coming back then do something proactive about it! If it's affecting your life then it needs looking at!

Good for you for being so on top of noticing the possible symptoms & being prepared to consider asking for help! smile

Futterby Fri 17-May-13 00:47:37

Thanks a lot for replying, I'll mention it at my next appointment. Really appreciate it smile

Teaandflapjacks Fri 17-May-13 09:19:32

To be honest you might just be knackered and raging hormones - if you have had depression in the past then of course you are more worried. Hormones are the route of a lot of all this stuff. You should anyway get your iron levels checked as sometimes when you lack iron this can make it much worse (your body makes a third more blood in pregnancy - so you need more iron). Also vitamin E is really important - if you can't get enough from sunlight, get the tablets, it is better than not and helps with black moods. Also - go and talk to your college about the pregnancy, now you are 12 weeks, explain you are struggling and see what they can do to help - they will have experience of this and just talking it through could be the ticket. It must seem very daunting having a baby and the degree with all of that in front of you. brew

Teaandflapjacks Fri 17-May-13 09:22:34

also I expect most pregnant women have full on major rage days, I think it is quite normal! And rather unfortunate for the men living alongside us - but tough titties! grin

Tamof4 Fri 17-May-13 09:50:45

It's those hormones! I'm going through the same. However, I did come off my anti anxiety meds and Citalopram as soon as I discovered I was preg. My body has had to adjust to this and I've had severe vertigo on top of the nausea, anger etc.
At least I know from my previous pregnancies that this is just a period of time that needs to be ridden out., as awful as it can feel.
Right now I need to go and get some logs to light a fire but can I be arsed?!!

Tamof4 Fri 17-May-13 09:53:40

Blimey,I've just read that back. It's all aimed at me!! What I mean is, I totally sympathise. Your feelings are normal. If you're concerned go and have a chat with a GP. But your emotions are what many are going through

beckie90 Fri 17-May-13 09:58:29

I'm 28wks and I'm awful I must say lol, I feel a constant rage over nothing, my mil seems to annoy me for no reason at all. During the first trimester I had no motivation or energy at all some days I just didn't want to move. If you have a history of depression I would mention it at your next appointment if your concerned, but it is pretty common for some women to feel like this because of hormones. I also cry for nothing. This is my 3rd, and first 2 I wasn't like this, but this one I have been.

Hope you feel better soon thanks xx

Futterby Fri 17-May-13 12:35:22

Thanks everyone thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now