Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What's the deal with clary sage oil?

(15 Posts)
ButteryJam Thu 16-May-13 01:15:02

Hi,

Just heard about clary sage oil. What is it used for (to induce labour?) and how? Did you use it during labour or before labour? Did it work?

And does it smell awful?

Thanks!

MrsJ12 Thu 16-May-13 07:24:11

Hi

It's meant to help induce labour by relaxing and helping the production of oxytocin.

I used some in the bath every other day from about 38wks and the midwife at the hospital gave me some mixed with jasmine and rose oil to smell. It did relax me but didn't kick start anything (am being induced today).

As for smell I'm personally not keen and find it a bit pungent esp on its own but it's not so bad mixed with other more fragrant oils

FaintlyMacabre Thu 16-May-13 07:44:38

So is it safe to use in late pregnancy then? I'm 39 weeks and have bought some labour massage oil containing clary sage among other things. I was looking forward to using it in the bath over the next few days (hopefully not weeks!) but can't find definitive advice about whether its safe or not. If the only side effect is possible induction of labour then that's a risk I'm more than willing to take!

Sorry for the hijack OP, was just about to start my own thread on this when I spotted yours!

Thanks for any advice.

ButteryJam Thu 16-May-13 11:16:19

Faintly, no worries smile

I'm not taking baths so will not be using it for bathing. What are the benefits of sniffing it? I have bought lavender oil for labour but still need to mix it with baby oil and get it ready.

ButteryJam Thu 16-May-13 11:17:53

MrsJ12, thank you. I'm not sure if I order it now whether it'll turn up on time lol. I'm also unsure about the smell, don't want anything making me feel even more sick!

MrsJ12 Thu 16-May-13 11:49:33

Faintly - it's definitely safe as it was the midwife who actually suggested it.

Butterly - if you don't think you'll get any in time, id ask when you get to the hospital they may have some as they mixed me some up yesterday on the ward. Not sure it helps but can be relaxing but then different things work for different people

Fakebook Thu 16-May-13 12:03:12

My midwife suggested it to me when I went overdue with dc1. At first I put a few dabs on my pillow. Then the second day a few drops on the pillow. Next day rubbed a few dabs on my stomach. By 42 weeks I was soaking myself in it during baths and after showers. My bedroom stunk of it (its not that much of a pleasant smell).

It didn't work for me and I ended up being induced.

FaintlyMacabre Thu 16-May-13 13:12:57

Thanks for the reassurZnce. Mines mixed with other very nice smelling oils so I'm l

FaintlyMacabre Thu 16-May-13 13:14:09

Sorry, stupid phone...
I'm looking forward to trying it later.

LemonPeculiarJones Thu 16-May-13 13:15:08

I found the smell so repulsive my DH had to wrap it up in yards of cling film before he threw it in the bin!

notso Thu 16-May-13 13:35:28

I used it from about 36 weeks with DS2, I had SPD and was carrying excess fluid so was the size of a house (72cm at 37 weeks) and was having bouts of contractions for two or three hours then nothing which started at 31 weeks and went on and on. I was desperate to get him out so I tried everything.

I used to fill the sink with really hot water put the clary sage in then soak a flannel in it and place it on my bump. It bring on contractions every time I did it.
DS was born at 38 weeks, the day after I had begged, pleaded with and sobbed to the consultant to induce me! I don't know if it was the clary sage, I was also using Evening Primrose capsules, and having copious amounts of sex! I have a feeling due to everything else I would have gone into labour anyway but at least it gave me something to do!

It stinks to high heaven though, like a wet dog mixed with a mouldy towel I threw up the first time I smelled it!

notso Thu 16-May-13 13:37:40

That reads wrong, I didn't get induced, the consultant was immune to my pleas!

yogafan Thu 16-May-13 18:20:09

I was induced (didn't try clary sage before labour) but I did find it really helpful at the beginning of labour to sniff (on a flannel) as it was relaxing and helped me focus in the breath (sniff as a deep long inhale) then exhale with increasingly loud groans...) I felt it helped me cope with the pain before I went on the gas and air, and that it was good preparation for using gas and air - same inhale/exhale method. But it might have all been in my head! Worth a go though!

adagio Thu 16-May-13 18:35:22

I used it and had a baby…dunno if it helped though! Hot baths with clary sage and lavender every morning from 38w baby arrived at 40+3. I also did eve primrose, sex, curry, chilli, so in fairness, not really scientific proof wink

Apparently it is also good to slow hair growth so use it after wax/shaving. Well, I haven't because it stinks, but you know, you could.

ButteryJam Fri 17-May-13 23:06:38

Thanks everyone, I ordered some labour massage oil that has clary sage oil as well as lavender oil and others, and hopefully will not smell too bad smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now