Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First pregnancy, feeling excited but apprehensive........

(9 Posts)
louise182 Wed 15-May-13 20:28:41

Hello, i am due my first scan soon but with this being my first pregnancy im worried of things going wrong. Im terrified nothing will be there on the scan. I know this is completely irrational as i had 6 positive tests two of which were clear blue digital...i have no reaso. To be worried really, no bleeding, only mild period type pain occasionally, boobs have grown alot, bit of sickness.. All seems normal yet i cant shake off this nagging feeling that its all going to be snatched away :-( has anybody else felt like this?

Bunnychan Wed 15-May-13 20:49:27

Yes- I felt like that at the start as I had no symptons. I'm now 39 weeks and definately pregnant lol!! Congratulations! Take care of yourself and try not to worry (easier said than done, I know) x

blondebaby111 Wed 15-May-13 20:59:44

I feel exactly like u too, I am so excited as we were trying for 5 years but unfortunately my excitement is then replaced by fear that there's something wrong and at the scan there will be nothing there. I'm sure its perfecty normal. How far along are u??? Xx

louise182 Thu 16-May-13 06:56:21

It is reassuring to know other people feel like this. I am so thrilled and excited after over a year trying, but worrying myself stupid that something will go wrong or worse won't be there!
9 weeks now smile

LetMeAtTheWine Thu 16-May-13 07:13:28

I was exactly the same, so convinced something was wrong I paid for an early scan because I didn't want to wait until 12 weeks to find out there was a problem. Am now 38 weeks.
I think because you can't see or feel anything in the early stages it is perfectly normal to worry but try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy if you can - and congratulations! smile

Kelly1814 Thu 16-May-13 11:26:21

i'm 19 weeks and still feel like this, have no bump, and forget i am pregnant half the time!

as others have said, it is completely normal. even though i have had countless scans (high risk) it still doesn't feel real!

congratulations smile

meditrina Thu 16-May-13 11:36:25

You might want to go over to the "Antenatal Clubs" bit of MN and join the chat thread for your due date if you want to hook up with others at the same stage of pregnancy to chat. They're usually lovely and supportive threads.

How many weeks will yo be at the scan?

If you think your anxiety is becoming excessive, it might be worth being seen before that. Is there any form of 'early bird' drop-in in your area which you could visit to talk things through with a midwife.

If not, going back to your GP might be the best course of action.

Frizz1986 Thu 16-May-13 13:05:31

I feel exactly the same. It's my first and I am only 5+ weeks so still a long way to go.
Only get a scan at 11-14 and it's going to be a long wait.
Me and dh are sill not convinced I am pg as have no sickness or anything really.
I have just had mild cramps but every cramp panics you as it's not like anyone can give u a demo of what it should feel like.
Have done about 20 tests and it still doesn't seem real.
I guess you just have to stay positive and hope that all is ok. A majority of pg turn out totally fine so i am attempting to stay positive unless anything comes along that causes me to think otherwise.
Def join the antenatal threads. They are so supportive and it's great to be able to chat through ur thoughts and fears with others who are in the same position.

ExhaustedMamasita Thu 16-May-13 15:45:27

Firstly congrats! Secondly, don’t worry by the sounds of it it’s perfectly natural to feel that way. I was so anxious before my first scan, I cried my eyes out directly afterwards for no reason. Probably my body’s way of relieving me from all the built up tension, which probably didn’t do the baby any good but it’s difficult to stop yourself from stressing and worrying.

I’m sure your first scan will be wonderful. I’m now 24 weeks with my first and despite all my previous worrying, I have a beautiful little bundle of joy growing healthily inside me! Exciting. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now