Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

ECV for extended breech baby?

(7 Posts)
Quilty Wed 15-May-13 18:09:39

Does anyone have any experience of having an ECV for a baby in the extended breech position i.e. legs straight, feet up by head?
Really can't decide whether to give this a try or not!

emzypoo Wed 15-May-13 20:37:57

Hiya I had one last september, I felt a bit pushed into it by the consultant and made to feel that I didn't have a choice so firstly don't feel pressured into it! I read so much negativity about this so I was extreemly anxious having It , I was monitored for about 30 mins before hand to check baby was fine and given an injection to relax the womb and some paracetamol. They brought a mobile scanning unit to check the baby whilst it was done and the doctor was very reasurring, it felt quite uncomfortable like someone digging their long nails into your skinand dragging but it lasted for about ten to fifeen seconds maximum so just as it got unbearable it was over, the ecv was successful in my case and baby stayed put and was not in any way distressed I think I was monitored about an hour after the procedure. I hope this helps but make sure you are aware of the risk and like I said don't get pushed into it so the nhs can cut costs . Good luck hun x

DIYandEatCake Wed 15-May-13 22:16:10

Yes, with dd. I was desperate to avoid a c section, but it didn't work, her bottom was wedged too tightly. It was uncomfortable and painful but at the time I was glad I tried, I'd always have wondered 'what if?' if I hadn't. It is surprisingly brutal, I was a bit worried as dd went 'quiet' for a bit afterwards but was moving as normal after 20 mins and a cold drink. Has your baby changed position much? Dd was in exactly the same position from 25 weeks til the end (poor thing!) so looking back there must have been something keeping her stuck there. I was told ecv is more likely to work with 2nd/more pregnancies as there's more room, but they can work for first timers.

Quilty Wed 15-May-13 22:31:33

Wow emzy, I had no idea it could be done so quickly!

DIY, I feel the same that I should give it a try because I'd really hoped for a natural delivery and this seems like the last chance for it.

My baby has been in same position since about 30 weeks and has always stayed in the same place. Was yours extended breech extended as well?

Quilty Wed 15-May-13 22:32:43

Oops too many extendeds!

emzypoo Thu 16-May-13 08:58:12

Mine was extended too and had always been that way as far as I know I thought scar tissue was stopping her moving but turns out she was just lazy as was induced at 40 plus 13 x

mrshen1 Thu 16-May-13 13:29:49

Hello there, I am pregnant with my first. However I did come across a message on Mumsnet a while ago from a lady who had unfortunately had a sad experience regarding ECV and was warning others of the dangers. After reading her story I really don't know if I personally would opt for an ECV and instead would possibly opt for a C-section. You have to make your own decision and best of luck with your little bubba xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now