Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Brand New - Tested Positive Yesterday

(10 Posts)
OurJourney Wed 15-May-13 15:56:48

Hey everyone,
my name is Sara and yesterday I found out I was pregnant. I am coming up to 25 and me and my fiancee decided to start trying in January this year.

I had been on the pill for a very very long time and worried if that would have any effects on how long it would take.

I'm still smiling now smile

I heard about this forum from a podcast my partner listens to (a business interview one) and now i am pregnant had to join.

I wanted to make a new thread asking if there is anything I need to know NOW.

I am doing all the required reading but didn't want to read something in a month that could help today. I would love to hear from anyone that can advise.

I will be writing about the whole experience, me and my partner will, so people can read it one day and see the whole thing from both sides of the bump.

Have a great day all..

Sara

knittingirl Wed 15-May-13 16:01:21

Congratulations!

Start taking folic acid if you're not already, and ring up your doctors to get into the system. Other than that, enjoy smile

CluelessNewbie1 Wed 15-May-13 16:03:33

My advice is to take it easy. I found the first few weeks the most tiring and it was even harder because you can't tell everyone why you feel so rubbish!

OurJourney Wed 15-May-13 16:33:19

thanks for the quick replies smile

I got myself into the doctors late yesterday. And started taking Folic acid this morning.

What is the general rule about when you tell people?

CluelessNewbie1 Wed 15-May-13 17:06:41

It is completely up to you when you tell people. I had a mc with my first at 9 weeks so I waited until I had my 12 week scan just to check everything was ok before I told anyone second time round.

Daffodill27 Wed 15-May-13 19:59:49

Congratulations! I'm 11+3 days at my first midwife app she told me to take folic acid which I was already taking and she recommended vitamin D. Take it easy over the next weeks its sooo tiring being pregnant aswell as the nausea, since hitting the 11 week mark I feel loads better and have more energy. Good luck with your pregnancy and I look forward to reading about your journey smile x

Daffodill27 Wed 15-May-13 20:02:46

On telling people we just told parents and I told my best friend got my scan next week so I'm hoping it all goes okay so we can spread the happy news!

AuntieStella Wed 15-May-13 20:05:08

If you want to find people at the same stage of pregnancy, go over to Antenatal Clubs as that's where the pregnant "chat" threads are.

fibrecruncher Wed 15-May-13 23:26:02

Hi Sara,

Congratulations smile I'm now 26 weeks. We waited till after the 5 month scan for the big announcement but told plenty of friends and family along the way. Or sometimes the news was announced for us. In a restaurant at a friends birthday party - I ordered something that came with mayonnaise - I asked the waiter if it was made with raw eggs, he said why are you pregnant? Was a really funny way to break the news to some very close friends. Ha ha.

I found reading What to expect when your expecting really informative. And just checking in on the chat her often told me that many of my symptons so far have been normal.

I also registered for the NHS weekly email good info on what was happening each week in the pregnancy.

All the best

OurJourney Thu 16-May-13 07:55:03

hey everyone,
thanks for all the great advice. I just wrote my first blog post. to summarise, im feeling tired and little smells are making me feel like i need to run and put my head in a toilet shock .

I think I will wait until at least week 12 before I make it public knowledge. im taking folic acid and will look for some vitamin d tablets.

the community here is fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now