Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Morning sickness or in my case all day sickness!!

(12 Posts)
Going2bamum Wed 15-May-13 11:36:39

Anyone got any good ideas to reduce nausea? I'm
7 weeks and feel awful !!!! How long will it last??? And what can I do to ease it !!??

Tried ginger biscuits, mints, and sipping water

FrogInABog Wed 15-May-13 11:43:22

dehydration makes it worse so try to keep fluids up, eat little and often, have a small biscuit.or snack each time you wake during the night, and if you are regularly throwing up every couple of hours day and night you may have hyperemesis which you can get tablets from the doctor to help with, though they are a last resort, as they are anti nausea tablets used during chemo etc so not something to take unless you will need a drip without really.

babies work like parasites(in the loveliest way possible) so will take what they need before you get anything, so don't worry about.the baby starving.or anything if you aren't getting much food down

embaker112 Wed 15-May-13 11:47:14

Everyone is different but at almost 11 weeks mine seems to be on the way out. I sympathise thought as I've had bad nausea since 4 weeks! It made me so miserable. Just eat whatever you can and know that you're probably going through the worst of it. Try seabands, they do take the edge off smile

everythinghippie29 Wed 15-May-13 11:48:55

Sorry to be a bummer but I've been sick/nauseous since week 4, now at week 10 and nor much better but I thankfully now have anti-emetics ( Cyclizine and Metaclopromide- sp?!) After being hospitalized for Hyperemesis. Now at least I can eat/drink a bit easier. I'd say get as much sleep as you can, don't worry about eating healthy, just eat when and what you feel like and most importantly stay hydrated. If you find yourself being sick more than 3 times a day and are struggling to drink/ keep liquids down contact your GP and they might be able to help.

I'm looking forward to magical 12/14 weeks when I'm hoping it will ease off! Fingers crossed you feel better soon OP, it is horrible...but worth it. thanks

harleyd Wed 15-May-13 11:49:08

banana milkshake and crisps worked for me

Going2bamum Wed 15-May-13 11:56:02

Thanks everyone. It's just difficult being at work and feeling sooooo awful.

AnythingNotEverything Wed 15-May-13 11:58:07

I feel for you! I know it's awful, but the likelihood is it should only last a few more weeks most people feel much better at around 11-13 weeks as their placenta takes over.

Rest as much as you can as fatigue can make it worse, try stay hydrated, and eat what you can when you can. Plenty of women get through their first trimester on little more than hula hoops! Your tastes do change at this early stage, so try things you might not normally eat to see if they're any better for you. It's a case of trial and error for some.

Some women also find eating before they get out of bed helps.

If you're struggling to keep anything down do see your GP or mw in case it could be hyperemisis.

Best of luck and congratulations!

Smerlin Wed 15-May-13 11:58:58

Carbs and very regular nibbling- being overfull or hungry made it worse for me

Newtobecomingamum Thu 16-May-13 02:39:32

God I feel for all the people suffering with it!! People who haven't had it don't have a flipping clue how awful it is! I suffered for five months with it and never thought if was going to go away! I remember the first day of feeling a bit better and then every day better and better until it went.... Felt bloody amazing!! Right, what helped me - travel bands (try them), eating carbs (lived on crusty rolls, potatoe waffles on toast and low day chips) this was all I could keep down and the docs/MW said this was perfectly fine as the most important thing is keeping some food down. Avoid all smells where possible - smoke, car fumes, perfume, cooking smells and many other smells made it so much worse! Sucking polos really helped me too! Good luck and I hope it goes soon X x

Newtobecomingamum Thu 16-May-13 02:40:10

Low fat chips!

woollysocksaresexy Thu 16-May-13 05:55:02

Oh you poor thing, I too have been terribly sick. Actually the only thing that helped me was doing absolutely nothing, literally. Just resting on the sofa, as any movement made it worse. This is not a practical solution most of the time though! Actually vomiting reduces the nausea as well for me, and gives me some relief, and don't be afraid about going to your GP for advice / antisickness medicine if you need it. The first line drugs they will give you have been widely used in pregnancy for a long time and you do not need to worry about harm to your baby. Even if you can't eat much, keep an eye on your fluid intake and make sure you are going for a wee fairly regularly and it isn't getting too concentrated (sorry tmi) as this is one of the most obvious signs of dehydration. I found that whereas normal drinks often "bounced" straight back up, jelly and ice lollys give you quite a lot of water without the bouncing issue! And if its any comfort op, 7 weeks was when I was at my worst, its still dire but its much better now (11 weeks) than it was then. For me part of the horror of it then was that I just expected it to get worse, which it actually didn't. Hope that helps x

Foxeym Thu 16-May-13 09:15:26

I know exactly how you feel, I had terrible ms from week 7 and every day at work was a complete nightmare! I'm lucky that my other 2 DC's are 15 and 12 so I didn't have to deal with them when I got in from work and just collapsed on the sofa. It started to ease at about 13 weeks and now I'm 17 weeks most days I feel absolutely fine, I still get the odd day when I feel nauseous but it seems to tie in when I'm also very tired. I'm hoping that's the back of it for the rest of this pregnancy! You will feel better x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now