Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Jacuzzis second trimester

(8 Posts)
Bodicea Wed 15-May-13 11:05:48

I had in my head that you can't go in a jacuzzi on the first trimester and was sat in quite a hot one for about 20 min I think ( lost track of time) I am 14 weeks gestation. Now reading up and says not to go in at all. Now totally freaking out!!
Any one done something similar and had healthy babies. Need some reassurance x

joanna1990marie Wed 15-May-13 11:33:44

Don't worry about it, just steer clear from now on, I've just read on NHS website that they advise against it incase it increases your core body temperature before 12 weeks that it MIGHT affect the foetus but many people have had fevers and things when preggo and been fine. I have been having hot baths the whole way through because I had no idea I wasn't supposed to have them! Im now 38 weeks pregnant with a lively baby so I wouldn't worry and just look on NHS x

Bodicea Thu 16-May-13 15:08:58

Thanks feeling marginally better. This pregnancy thing is full of guilt trips. Can't do anything fun :-(

HazleNutt Thu 16-May-13 15:14:31

Don't freak! Most of the studies I've seen that have found any correlation between raising core temperature and neural issues have been done on mice, not humans. Almost all women in Finland keep going to sauna throughout pregnancy and Finland has a very low rate of those same defects heat is supposed to be causing.

Bodicea Sat 18-May-13 14:52:23

thanks hazelnut x

Queazy Sat 18-May-13 18:34:30

Is it ok to go in one in second and third trimesters then? I quite fancy a cheap spa day but I haven't planned one as I thought I wouldn't be able to use anything but the swimming pool (jacuzzi, steam room etc out)

LostMySocks Sat 18-May-13 23:13:18

I have had a couple of jacuzzis and went in hot tubs in Iceland. I figured the advice was about overheating, feeling faint and getting dehydrated so I just sat in them for a short while and then went into a cooler pool. Also made sure that I was with DH just on case I felt faint. Prob naughty but was relaxing. Iceland was easy as tubs were outside and it was snowy so just bobbing out of the water cooled you down

toni1bump Tue 21-May-13 00:07:56

I have a hottub and asked my midwife about it. She said as long as it is at 37 degrees or less its fine.. The reason they say not to go in them is because if its too hot it raises your core temp and baby cant handle it.. Jus watch the temp and drink plenty whilst in it.. Also this information is on some websites.. People try to scare women out of EVERYTHING when pregnant!! Its silly..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now