Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Feeling guilty about goats cheese :S

(17 Posts)
Fairy130389 Tue 14-May-13 19:11:46

So at lunchtime... I indulged in a lasagne with goats cheese in it... Made sure it was piping hot and cooked really really well and thought at nearly 36 weeks it would be fine, but now am feeling REALLY REALLY guilty and stupid. Please can you tell me that I'm being ridiculous and it is probably fine?!

AThingInYourLife Tue 14-May-13 19:15:29

When I'm pregnant I go mad for goat's cheese.

I don't think you have any reason to feel guilty.

CareerGirl01 Tue 14-May-13 19:16:56

Had loads of it while pg with DD1 and DD2 - always heated though x

CareerGirl01 Tue 14-May-13 19:17:49

You can get hard goats cheese which is pasteurised.

TheNewShmoo Tue 14-May-13 19:18:45

I have a red pepper and goats cheese pizza waiting in the fridge for me... I can't wait to devour it!! It will be in the oven for 30 minutes so it will be fine- as was your lasagne!

NoTeaForMe Tue 14-May-13 19:18:50

Some goats cheese you're allowed anyway so fingers crossed it was that or just tell yourself it was that to ease the guilt

Cooked thoroughly it shoul be fine regardless!

mikkii Tue 14-May-13 19:18:53

Please don't feel guilty. My husband is half Spanish and his friends could never believe the number of rules we are given about what to eat or not eat. Our friends summarised the Spanish advice simply as "don't drink too much"

Yes, that is it! Don't drink too much.

Eat pâté, soft cheese, liver, nuts, just don't drink too much.

I hope you enjoyed it.

MissHinky Tue 14-May-13 19:44:42

After being advised not to eat a goats cheese tart in a restaurant last week, I checked with my midwife on Monday and she said that as long as its pasteurised cooked goats cheese, its absolutely fine smile

GoodbyePorkPie Tue 14-May-13 20:14:45

Never heard of this - where I live no cheese is off limits! In fact I had goat's cheese at the weekend. You'll be fine.

Fetacat Tue 14-May-13 20:57:06

Costco sell MASSIVE logs of goats cheese and its pasturised and it's delicious. Only problem is you have to buy loads of goats cheese at once (possibly not a problem!)

For some reason it is one of the only shops where they label if their cheese is pasturised or not making it a pregnancy cheese haven!

Smerlin Wed 15-May-13 06:33:38

Also you can have even Brie and Camembert if it is cooked until piping hot so I wouldn't worry at all!

Teaandflapjacks Wed 15-May-13 08:12:44

Don't worry!! The reason they say avoid is due to listeria (I believe) - and I think you would know if you had that by now - so fear not! grin

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 15-May-13 09:48:19

The worst for listeria can be actually unwashed lettuce and I think cucumber.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 15-May-13 09:48:55

Not the worst really but worse than nowadays cheese.

Mrsvoyle Wed 15-May-13 09:55:11

I had goats cheese and onion tart at the weekend and it was cooked thoroughly and sooo yummy. My midwife says as long as I don't eat loads of the stuff, a little now and then you'll be fine! smile

123234345 Wed 15-May-13 09:55:16

If it's thoroughly cooked it's absolutely fine because the cooking will have killed any bugs. Even if it's not cooked, the chances of getting listeria are extremely low indeed.

drcharliegirl Wed 15-May-13 09:55:54

Cooked cheese is fine. Pasteurisation happens at about 70 degrees centigrade, and I work on the basis that anything pasteurised is ok (American guidelines).
Don't feel guilty - eating huge portions of lasagna is one of the few pleasures of pregnancy!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now