Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can I eat soft cheese made with pasteurised milk?

(13 Posts)
TheNewShmoo Tue 14-May-13 19:09:33

All I can think about is bread and cheese, and particularly goat cheese aagh! So today on the on-line shop I ordered some goats cheese ('Butlers Kidderton Ash Goats Cheese' - not chevre) made from pasteurised milk but it has a 'silky white coat'- will this be ok?

Also wasn't clear from the picture on the website but got some 'Fivemiletown Creamery Ballyoak', also made from pasteurised milk, but now that I've opened it there's a white rind on it... what to do??? I am dying to eat it!!!

MightBeMad Tue 14-May-13 20:10:30

I think rind cheese is a no no generally BUT it's fine cooked, so if in doubt, bake it! Still yummy!

BlackholesAndRevelations Tue 14-May-13 20:12:54

Pasteurised = fine as far as I know? I've been looking at the nhs website for info.

ginmakesitallok Tue 14-May-13 20:13:33

Yes you can

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 14-May-13 20:14:06

I think pasturised is fine.. I remember having a confrontation is sainsbury's with a lady who told me I couldn't eat Feta cheese..

WOOO I was mad..

IceNoSlice Tue 14-May-13 20:24:53

Yes, pasteurised is fine. If you're in doubt, cut the rind off (I wouldn't bother)

IceNoSlice Tue 14-May-13 20:26:12

NeverKnowlingly I had that but with a colleague over peanuts. He tried to take my snickers off me!!! When he saw my face he backed off though. Don't get between a pregnant lady and her chocolate...

TheNewShmoo Tue 14-May-13 21:08:44

So pasteurised but with a rind is fine?

TheNewShmoo Tue 14-May-13 21:09:54

The NHS website isn't clear- says to avoid chevre as it is mould-ripened, but pasteurised without rind is fine.

idonthaveone Tue 14-May-13 21:10:56

Yes I spent months craving goats cheese only to find out the stuff they used at work (restaurant chain I used to work for) was pasturised and fine at 8 months aaargh

TheNewShmoo Tue 14-May-13 22:45:03

Done some reading around and I think the issue is not with pasteurisation but with the mould-ripening process afterwards which provides the perfect environment for bacteria (BTW most of the cheeses at Waitrose (brie, camembert) are pasteurised).

snickersnacker Wed 15-May-13 06:26:39

NO. Sorry. It's not fine. The fact that its pasteurised is irrelevant - if it has a soft rind then it is mould-ripened and not safe for exactly the reasons that Shmoo describes. The NHS website is really clear on this.

Sorry. Bake it or grill it in toast until it's bubbling.

snickersnacker Wed 15-May-13 06:28:59

Sorry Shmoo, just realised that you're the OP and that you'd found your answer. Incidentally, I've just googled the cheese and looked at a pic and that is definitely a mould-ripened rind on it. This question comes up a lot and there's a lot of confusion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now