Talk

Advanced search

Induced labour - Any tips for coping with contractions

(13 Posts)
furryfriends57 Tue 14-May-13 15:20:56

Hi,
I have posted about having to be induced at 37 weeks and am trying to get my head around it all. I was induced last time with DD and had to have epidural as she was back to back and pains were horrendous. I am hoping this time I will be lucky and not have babs back to back and just wondering if anyone has any tips on coping with labour after an induction. I expect the labour to progress quickly and contractions to be intense from early on and would like to avoid the epidural if possible. Do you count thro the contractions or have specific breathing technique. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Thanks

dinkystinky Tue 14-May-13 15:50:52

Try the natalhypnotherapy CD for inductions - might help you. Breathing and visualising yourself along way away may help - also telling yourself each contraction brings you closer to your baby may help. Try to stay upright and mobile as much as possible - if you need an epidural though, go for it - and ask that it be allowed to wear off so you can assume birthing positions you want for birth.

yogafan Tue 14-May-13 16:46:46

I'd really recommend hypnobirthing - listen to the cd relocations in the run up to the birth, then listen to the music during labour. My contractions came quick and fast when I was induced, and i found it really useful to focus on the breath right from the beginning, think of it like an anchor, you can use it and control it and it will help you. It sounds silly but I had some clary sage (aromatherapy oil) on a cloth, and breathed that in, then kind of exhaled out (noisily) all the pain. When that wasn't enough, moved on to gas and air, used in same way, really linked to the breathing. When it got really intense i counted how many breaths each contraction lasted (for me it was about 3 or 4 breaths, and knowing that made me think 'it's not that much, I can cope for the next 3 breaths' ) I would have gone on to epidural but didn't need it in the end, labour was just 5 hours.
Good luck!

yogafan Tue 14-May-13 16:52:28

Meant to say cd relaxations! Sorry! They are guided relaxations, that lady about 30 mins, I'd listen to one in bed before going to sleep. Also listened again after taking the first induction pill. Waters then broke, took another pill, but was induced on the drip in the end.

yogafan Tue 14-May-13 16:57:07

Lasted...

FoofFighter Tue 14-May-13 17:31:19

Don't assume that contractions will be worse with induction, mine certainly weren't compared to birth #1.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 14-May-13 18:42:18

For me it wasn't that I felt the contractions were worse with induction, it was that I was not allowed to be in any other position than on my back on the bed (they sort of helped me half sit up for a bit but with nothing to support me that was harder). I did have multiple IVs (insulin, glucose, syntocin) and my hospital didn't have any wireless foetal monitors so I was effectively wired to the bed. From people I have spoken to who did have the choice to move so experienced more than one position this is a particularly painful way to labour.

In the early stages of active labour i found the breathing from my yoga DVD helpful though so maybe worth looking into that.

yogafan Tue 14-May-13 19:33:20

Also, I did active birth classes and hoped to be up and mobile, but in the end I was stuck on the bed (but they put the backup as far as it would go so it was almost sitting) and I could lean forward and get involved in the contractions but flop back a little in between.

furryfriends57 Tue 14-May-13 22:35:34

Thanks for your suggestions, induction is next week so unfortunately I won't be able to do the hypnobirthing approach (wish I had thought of this earlier) but will definetly try the breathing techniques described so well thanks.

cyclecamper Tue 14-May-13 23:00:46

I had 2 co-dydromol at the beginning for the back pain and gas and air. I told the midwife that I had a horror of epidurals and although I did say I would give in if neccessary, I'm pretty sure that she made sure that I moved along fast enough to avoid it. It was pretty intense - at some points it was constant contractions, but I didn't have the epidural. 4.5 hours to the end. You need to listen to the midwife through the haze and let go of the entonox if you are told to (I hurt my jaw holding on to it so they couldn't get it!) I also found knowing the signs for yes and no and having a huband and sister who understood helped, because I couldn't talk - so working out something like that could be useful. I also poked him in the eye signing that I loved him with no idea of space blush. I had no idea of the passage of time and it was a strange experience, but we did it! Good luck.

ButteryJam Tue 14-May-13 23:04:37

The Labour Companion CD by Maggie Howell may still help you even if you haven't used hypnotherapy before. It is available to purchase on Amazon.

furryfriends57 Wed 15-May-13 20:11:01

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate them. Induction begins sunday or monday so will just wing it from here and go with the flow. Am trying to focus on having a baby to take home no matter what has to happen to get it here smile

FoofFighter Wed 15-May-13 20:21:06

Good luck :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now