Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anyone else refuse a sweep?

(9 Posts)
Mariacbw Mon 13-May-13 22:21:05

In 41+9, I had a sweep 2 days ago. It was extremely painful and I felt very uncomfortable with the whole thing. Plus the midwife said it was totally pointless as my cervix was still closed. Im due to have another sweep tomorrow before being induction but I really don't want to have it. I haven't really got over my fear of everything pregnancy related and dread the thought of it.

I'd like to refuse the sweep and book induction for the last possible day to give baby a last chance for things to happen naturally. Has anyone else refused a sweep? Will I be 'encouraged' to have it? (Ps the mw was very old school and told me they didn't even used to bother trying sweeps on first time mums as don't really work)

TobyLerone Mon 13-May-13 22:29:09

You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just remember that.

iamfizzy Mon 13-May-13 23:22:13

just say no. No biggie. I refused one and the midwife didn't bat an eyelid.

Linnet Mon 13-May-13 23:27:18

I had a sweep with dd1 which didn't work. When I went over with dd2 the consultant offered me a sweep which I declined. You don't have to have a sweep if you don't want one.

Fuckwittery Mon 13-May-13 23:29:08

i asked mw to check if my cervix was favourable first as i knew it would be uncomfortable and pointless if closed. was checked three times and as i had said not to do if unfavourable was told each time it wasnt worth bothering. went to 18 days overdue!

Mariacbw Mon 13-May-13 23:31:43

Ok thanks, I'm just going to politely refuse

Fuckwittery Mon 13-May-13 23:31:47

btw you dont have to be induced either, i went in for daily monitoring and had a scan when i went 18 days over.
look up bishops score and ask for yours before induction, if still very low induction may be pointless and have v little chance of succeeding.

Fuckwittery Mon 13-May-13 23:34:38

have a read of ths
wellroundedmama.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/induction-math-importance-of-bishop.html

of course you will want to think about post dates risks to but i understand these to be relatively low and also that 12 week scans have a + \ - 7 day margin of error in case you think hosp dates may not be right

OldRichandGrateful Mon 13-May-13 23:36:59

Just say no thank you. You don't have to have a sweep or induction. Your body, your baby. Remember that if anyone (midwife/consultant) tries to bully you into doing anything you are not comfortable with.

Good luck with the birth!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now