Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

cleaning baby to be's toys

(9 Posts)
Steffanoid Mon 13-May-13 10:45:45

sorry not sure where to put this, so obviously like you all I've sorted the babies room out washed all his clothes ( my preference not everyones) etc.
when it comes to cleaning toys im nog sure how to, the ones that are all plastic are getting blasted with my Milton spray but the ones that are material that say handwash and air dry, does this literally mean plunging the whole thing in a bucket of water with some (clothes) washing liquid in it rinsing it off then put it on the line to dry or is there a way to do it and im just being really thick like usual?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 13-May-13 11:14:48

I only cleaned if they got puked on/peed on, etc. You could wash plastic toys in the sink with washing up liquid. I have a handwash setting on my washing machine and have successfully washed soft toys in there.

RoxyLady Mon 13-May-13 11:54:39

I'll be sterilizing all of mine when I get a minute x

Kormachameleon Mon 13-May-13 11:56:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 13-May-13 11:58:39

I dont think OP has had her baby yet. I didnt clean toys when they were first bought, only when they were dirty (didnt see the need to)

Tournament Mon 13-May-13 12:09:47

Baby's not going to play with toys to begin with anyway. It never occurred to me to clean new toys. Once they got to the soft toy stage, I put them through the mashing machine, regardless of what the label said, but only once they were dirty, not new.

Plastic toys got wiped with Milton to begin with, but once they get so they're putting all sorts in their mouths, it started to seem a bit pointless.

bishboschone Mon 13-May-13 12:13:46

I'm not in the clean everything camp. If you keep your house and toys so sterile your baby will get ill as it won't be exposed to a normal level of germs but having said that I machine wash everything unless it has batteries . It's all fine , it won't look brand new but it will most probably survive the wash.

Steffanoid Mon 13-May-13 12:19:48

they're new toys all of them, i'm just a bit concerned because they were on cardboard backing when we got them/got given, i just don't know where they've been ie on the factory floor on shop floors where goodness knows who's touched them, trodden on them etc. i'm not that fussed once i know they're clean as i'll then know where they'll have been and who's touched them IYSWIM

ilovepowerhoop Mon 13-May-13 12:23:12

a bit OTT but them I'm a slattern!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now