Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is this constipation?

(9 Posts)
GemmaD12 Sun 12-May-13 18:48:01

Ugh! Do you think this is the dreaded constipation?

I'm going to the toilet every two/three days, and in the meantime I don't have any pain or discomfort.

However, when I actually sit on the toilet and try to go - I have to (blush) - push... and push... and push... And it takes forever (45 minutes!) before anything will happen.

Giving up and trying again later doesn't help - I just have to start again from scratch with the same problem!

I always thought that - if you had constipation - you wouldn't get the urge as often as I do, and it would hurt when you tried to go. It doesn't do that for me.

Am I just constipated?

xx

Bunnychan Sun 12-May-13 19:04:41

Yes- forgive my tmi but you're stools are probably really hard and the longer they are in the bowel, the harder they get making the cycle harder. Please make sure you up your water along with any fibre as fibre needs it to work. It's bloody horrible x

Fakebook Sun 12-May-13 19:14:15

You can still be constipated and have the urge to go. Your stools are hard so start taking fibre like a handful of All Bran a few times a day until your stools are softer. Pears help make stools softer too, as do Apricots.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sun 12-May-13 19:27:50

Drink loads and loads of water too! If you've tried everything (fruit/veg/bran/water/dried fruit/beans?!) then fybogel is effective and gentle.

CuteLittleToes Sun 12-May-13 19:33:36

I found prunes help a bit...

Namethattune Sun 12-May-13 19:47:29

My bowels just stopped at 20 weeks. I found fybogel really helpful. You can buy it off the shelf in Boots. I would probably only have gone once a week without it.

ElBombero Sun 12-May-13 21:19:58

Take a glass of prune juice daily, it will be your saviour! X

harverina Sun 12-May-13 22:57:29

My pharmacist gave me lactulose for exactly the same problem. I remember having awful constipation due to painkillers after DD was born and I was crying with the pain, so I wanted to nip it in the bud this time - however, I am really struggling to swallow the lactulose due to morning sickness and physically gag when I put it in my mouth sad

I am hoping that I will be able to stomach all bran tomorrow as this cannot go on!

Gonnabmummy Sun 12-May-13 23:09:02

Sounds exactly like what happened to me. I always felt like I needed to go but nothing was there as such sometimes 3 days later then the urge would be really strong and it always came almost without pushing even if rather difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now