Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

41wks, 3cm dilated, 100% effaced, no baby 2 days later

(8 Posts)
Callipygian Sat 11-May-13 22:06:19

Has anyone else been in this situation, is it normal?

I went for a sweep Thursday lunchtime, the midwife started telling me about how i would book in for 2 days time for a follow up sweep etc but afterwards she was so convinced that i would go into labour any minute that she didn't bother booking me in!

Reading my notes im 100% effaced, the baby is 0/5 engaged so totally locked in, im 3cm dilated and she said she could feel the membranes bulging.

I've been for 4 long (for a pregnant person) walks today including 45 minutes round gunnersbury park. During the walks i get what i would describe as mediocre period pains but when i get home and bounce on the ball or sit down they stop. Im starting to think my body just dont know how to contract.

I really dont want to have to be induced on a drip, im booked into a birth center and if im induced i will be moved to the labour ward upstairs which has a very high intervention rate (queen charlottes).

I called the birth center today and have booked another sweep for tomorrow morning but im starting to loose hope sad

Callipygian Sat 11-May-13 22:07:14

Forgot to mention: I lost my mucus plug in the 24 hours after the sweep.

mikkii Sat 11-May-13 22:12:01

I wasn't in the same position as you, but with DS I was induced by drip and it wasn't that bad. I was expecting it to be much worse. I had gas and air and Meptid. Asked for second Meptid but it was too late.

Usually they try pessaries before the drip, they tried that twice for me at West Mid. For me, DS wasn't engaged but water had broken, I had only 7hour labour.

StitchAteMySleep Sat 11-May-13 22:15:53

You are not overdue until 42 weeks. You do not have to be induced, they cannot make you, you can opt to have daily monitoring if you want. Some women gestate beyond 42 weeks naturally (just like some gestate to 37/38).

Maybe if you didn't have the time pressure and stress of worrying about impending induction deadlines your body would relax and labour would start.

I know with my second dd I was sure that she was coming a week before she did, but I went into labour the morning after my mum arrived as I couldn't relax until she was there to look after dd1.

Trust your body will know what to do when it is time.

beckie90 Sat 11-May-13 22:18:40

I had mine at 41wks and was 2cm and fully effaced etc lost the plug straight after, but I was induced at 42wks, they just broke my waters and that set it off, was relatively quick. Fingers crossed baby makes an apperance soon xx

wonderstuff Sat 11-May-13 22:30:07

I had a very long labour with my second. I was 3cm dialated on the Tuesday, had a sweep, pains that started and then went all that day and the day after and on the Thursday, mid night on Thurs woke up in pain, called hospital at 3am who were sceptical but agreed for me to come in, I was 7 cm on arrival and had ds early Friday morning. Very frustrating at the time, but I was up and about immediately after really.

Do remember that you don't have to be induced, even at 42 weeks.

thistooshallpasswontit Sat 11-May-13 22:44:56

Sounds like me when pregnant with my 2nd only I was 5cms dilated. Midwife was convinced baby would arrive that day and told me to get to hospital as soon as I felt a twinge because it was going to be quick. 3 days later and still no sign of my baby arriving and no pains. Eventually I got myself into a complete panic about it I went and got checked out. I didn't realise I was v constipated blush and that was preventing (can't remember how) my labour from progressing. They gave me an enema and less than an hour later i did a poo and my gorgeous dd arrived safe and well. What a way to make an entrance eh!? So my advice is make sure you aren't constipated!! Good luck. I'm sure it won't be long now.

Callipygian Sat 11-May-13 22:56:10

I think the general advice at my hospital is that they like to induce at 40+10. I would definitely push for at least 42 but i'm not sure how far over 42 i could go without being totally panicked about the increased stillbirth rate. I realise the figure doesnt magically suddenly increase after 42 weeks but it's still a concern sad

Thanks for sharing thistooshallpass smile fortunately i have been blessed without the common pregnancy symptom of constipation, i've been extremely regular especially the last few weeks.

My midwife didnt mention pessaries to me, im not sure at which point you get moved to the labour ward. I need to ask tomorrow if i would be transferred should they break my waters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now