Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Is a seriously long and tiring walk likely to start labour?

(11 Posts)
ButteryJam Sat 11-May-13 19:13:29

Hi,

I'm 38 + 2 and like all at this stage really keen on starting labour. Would a long and fast tiring walk be worth a shot to get things moving?

RubyOnRails Sat 11-May-13 19:15:10

I did this a lot before my first baby.
By the time I went I to labour, I was pretty tired.....

ButteryJam Sat 11-May-13 20:37:41

RubyonRails, thanks, did it start it then?

dinkystinky Sat 11-May-13 20:40:08

Only if the baby is ready to come Butteryjam - did 4 to 6 mile walks, up and down fricking huge hills, with DS1 - and he was induced at 42 weeks. With DS2, a 4 mile walk and a day of hoicking his toddler big brother around (only walked a couple of milles that day) was enough to trigger labour.

StitchAteMySleep Sat 11-May-13 20:44:48

I did a 6 mile walk on the day I went into labour with dd1 at 39+2, but I was doing them regularly throughout my pregnancy so she must have just been ready.

NoTeaForMe Sun 12-May-13 08:27:47

A long walk will help get baby down and into position but there's nothing to kick start labour!

If you're 'only' 38 weeks I would just try and focus on enjoying this but while you can, you could easily have another month to go! Sorry!

ButteryJam Sun 12-May-13 22:30:20

Thanks folks! Looks like there's a mix of opinions ...

craftycottontail Mon 13-May-13 06:14:14

I'm 38+6, went on a long walk round a NT park yesterday and totally wore myself out but no sign of labour!

Baby does feel a little more engaged though...

jennimoo Mon 13-May-13 06:33:07

I was walking around the shops all day the day before DD arrived at 38+5... I did have half the plug come away a few days before though so I guess she was ready.

somethingbeginningwith Mon 13-May-13 20:57:45

I went for walks that were miles long 9 days in a row when I was overdue...ended up being induced at 40+10; walking certainly didn't convince my little man to make an appearance.

ShowOfHands Mon 13-May-13 21:05:25

No. Nothing works. A normal pregnancy lasts between 37 and 42 weeks and you can't influence the start of labour short of chemical induction.
A baby comes when it is ready and you don't want it any other way.

A long and brisk walk is fine if you fancy it but it won't start labour. Of course a few people might say they went for a walk and had a baby. Well that's coincidence I'm afraid. Millions of people walk a long way and it does nothing. Or if it did, they'd ban walking in pregnancy! It might just tire you out and make you sore. Try and find some things which you'll enjoy and make you feel comfortable safe in the knowledge that you're just not in control of when your baby will come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now