Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Can someone please reassure me that I'm just being a crazy pregnant person?

(13 Posts)
madonnawhore Sat 11-May-13 13:42:30

I'm 4+3 and had a miscarriage at 7 weeks last year so am absolutely bricking it. To say I've become neurotic is an understatement.

I wanted to ask about cramps. I have this constant low-level crampy ache in my pelvis and lower back. Interspersed with some delightful twinges.

It's really freaking me out. Plus I'm bloated and have trapped wind beyond belief.

It's normal to have cramping right? I just feel 'uncomfortable' all the time.

meryb100 Sat 11-May-13 14:04:30

anything is normal, i would ask your doctor. try to relax and think positive

alienbanana Sat 11-May-13 14:08:14

I think mild cramping is quite normal.. that sort of bloating pain and twinges all normal too. Bloating and trapped wind, horrible as it is, is a positive sign though. I felt like my lower abdomen had been inflated.

It's horrible though isn't it.. have you got an early reassurance scan booked? It's a long way til the 12 week one and it can help

lozster Sat 11-May-13 14:12:10

I had this. Horrid isn't it? Hard to believe you are pregnant when your body is shouting 'period' ! I think your uterus expanding and the lining thickening all mimic period symptoms.

purrpurr Sat 11-May-13 14:14:24

I had this, I remember sitting in meetings being horribly convinced my period had just started, then the relief when I got to the loos later on and found nothing untoward. If you can have an early scan, I think it could really help you manage this. It's so difficult to deal with the worrying.

I was in agony with cramps for months with my first pregnancy, and like you had had miscarriages so spent a lot of time freaking out.

It was all fine, dd is 8 now and it was a totally normal pregnancy. I was quite thin before I had her and I think my abdomen just had to do a lot of stretching to accommodate my growing uterus.

LillyofWinchester Sat 11-May-13 14:30:13

I had that, felt like period pain with some muscle pulls running from my hip accross. I think its everything stretching. But if youre still worried call your midwife, they will understand especially given your history.

MarianaTrench Sat 11-May-13 14:59:05

I think it's completely normal for some people. I had everything from dull aches, sharp twinges and sudden cramps. For the entire 40 weeks. Book a viability scan at 7 weeks when they should be able to detect a heartbeat.

madonnawhore Sat 11-May-13 15:05:16

Phew thanks. I'm quite slim so it might just be everything trying to make room.

They did say I could have an early scan if I wanted one. I think I'll talk to them about getting one booked in when I'm a little further along.

Although I had an early scan last time via of bleeding. At that point they detected a heartbeat and told me everything looked totally fine. The next day I miscarried sad

Almost wish I'd never seen that heartbeat.

Anyway. Can you tell my head's in a bit of a dark place right now?! Thanks for your reassurances. It really helps.

Newtobecomingamum Sat 11-May-13 15:05:34

Hi, I had mc first time at around 4 weeks and during this pregnancy around 4 weeks I was just like you... I had cramps, period pain feeling and twinges! I constantly was thinking that was it. I asked other people who had babies (before I joined mumsnet) and they all said they never had cramps etc do I thought it was totally not normal. I had an early scan and my Hcg levels checks by blood test every 48 hours, once at hospital and once privately. This made me feel so much better!! So it can be normal as I only have four weeks to go, however it's always best to get checked out. The hcg blood level tests (google it) are the best indication if the pregnancy is developing normal as the level is meant to double every 48 hours. This how I found out my first pregnancy was going to e d in a mc.... But at least I knew and got some comfort that I knew it was going to happen as the pregnancy wasn't going to ahead instead of finding out another way. Then on the flip side having the tests done this time made me feel so much better and although there was still a risk as there is with all pregnancies, it helped to start to build my confidence and relieved a lot of initial stress. I would honestly recommend getting the hcg blood tests done! Good luck and I'm thinking of you x

Purplemonster Sat 11-May-13 15:11:01

I had terrible cramps and aches in early pregnancy, I think it is fairly common but agree that it's very nerve wracking. I hope it eases off for you soon although you will inevitably find something else to worry about, that 12 week scan is a long time coming!

Gingerbreadpixie Sat 11-May-13 15:24:01

I had lots of cramps in the first trimester. Totally convinced my period was coming in the days leading up to my BFP. I even get some now at 24 weeks sometimes.

TobyLerone Sat 11-May-13 17:26:59

Congratulations smile

Come and join us on the January 2014 thread if you like. We've pretty much all had cramping etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now