Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

What to say during first trimester

(8 Posts)
lotsofbananas Thu 09-May-13 15:20:31

We are waiting through the scans to tell people about the pregnancy, partly because I am considered a "high-risk pregnancy."

What do you all tell friends who want to meet for a coffee or drink, or even a meal when you have felt sick? So far I am just saying that my stomach hasn't recovered since a bad stomach bug. But I feel bad lying to my friends too, and I do want to see them.

How did some of you handle it?

gertrudestein Thu 09-May-13 15:34:45

If you're anything like me, you probably look a bit ill so can get away with saying, 'I'm really stressed at work/ I seem to be catching every bug going/ I got a dreadful night's sleep last night' then having a long moan about whatever the problem is until your friends voluntarily change the subject. People will either believe you or, if they do suspect anything, will realise you don't want to talk about it.

onceipopicantstop Thu 09-May-13 15:37:26

I was fortunate that I didn't feel ill. I told my two closest friends at 8-9 weeks and that made it easier when with other friends.

Lj8893 Thu 09-May-13 15:41:35

Thankfully I live in another town from the majority of my friends/social crowd so I managed to keep it quiet.

I did go and have lunch with 2 friends when I was about 8 weeks, both of these friends knew, but we were in a popular pub and it was a bank hol so everyone I knew was out.....I had lots of "why are you drinking coke" questions which was awkward but I managed to bat them off with antibiotic excuses!

Teaandflapjacks Thu 09-May-13 17:28:41

Unfortunately i couldn't really with my main friends - twas over New Years in a big country house - would have been very obvious since I have a love of wine normally. Actually it was kind of lovely - they were dead chuffed, very supportive, ensured we did lots of stuff I could join in on that didn't involve just boozing, and I kind of figured if anything had gone wrong I would have wanted their support anyway.

I don't know if you drive - but you could use that excuse for not drinking. With the meal stuff - that is hard. Could you say you are on some sort of summer health kick/getting into beach wear mode?!

Good luck and congrats!!!

somanystripes Thu 09-May-13 17:49:57

A friend of mine claimed to have dreadful cystitis that kept coming back. It gave an excuse for not drinking, looking peaky and constantly running to the loo! I didn't mind when she was vague about confirming lunches etc. as I knew she was feeling really under the weather. I didn't suspect a thing! Some people did, but didn't ask questions as it was plausible enough. I'd go with that..

lotsofbananas Sun 12-May-13 14:23:41

Thanks for the good ideas! So far nobody even seems suspicious... but will start to need other excuses throughout the next month!

Rockchick1984 Sun 12-May-13 23:19:25

The best excuse I used was a hangover - no suspicions from my friends if I said I'd been drinking far too much wine the night before grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now