Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Gestational diabetes - results

(4 Posts)
weakestlink Thu 09-May-13 14:29:38

The numbers from my finger prick tests were
8.6 fasting
7.2 2 hours post glucose drink

I have been told the threshold is 7.8 so what does that mean for me with one result above and one below?

Also how much does the actual blood sample differ from finger prick blood? Might my numbers be lower in the lab?

Midori1999 Thu 09-May-13 15:00:35

Only one level need to be over for a diagnosis. However, it's unusual (not impossible) for your fasting to be higher than your two hour result. It's also rare for hospitals to use 7.8 as the diagnosis threshold for fasting levels, it's normally below 6, or 5 in some hospitals. Could they have got your results the wrong way round or not explained it clearly?

Lab results can differ quite a bit from finger prick results, but you should hear back quickly if you are going to be diagnosed.

StiffyByng Thu 09-May-13 15:40:31

My fasting number was 6.3 and the only number that 'failed' me, but I was told that was quite high, so either of your numbers will be likely to cause them to diagnose you. 7.8 is more likely to be the upper limit of the second level-fasting limits are usually 6 at the most. Come and talk on the GD support thread if you'd like to.

weakestlink Thu 09-May-13 16:10:32

Yes I am probably confused about the levels then as the first test was def 8.6 so guess that's a major fail!
Will come to other thread later just off for school run.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: