Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Summer maxi day dress for third trimester?

(19 Posts)
webminx Tue 07-May-13 19:59:40

Has anyone found nice summer dresses that are suitable for the third trimester and fit my ridiculously specific criteria? Ideally a casual, maxi dress for daytime that is NOT strapless, paisley, tiki, ruffled, bodycon or split up the side to crotch level? Also, no spaghetti straps as I need to wear a serious bra with industrial straps and would rather proper shoulder straps or even short/cap sleeves.

Is this too much to ask? Am huge, it's too hot for all my other maternity wear and I don't want my backfat showcased by a skintight, sausage-casing, bodycon, horizontally striped, strapless minidress?!?!? hormonal rant over
Any suggestions welcome!

AlanMoore Tue 07-May-13 20:03:11

Try eBay, I was desperate for the same last year. Got bnwt past season next dress which is lovely and got many compliments. Pm me if you want a size 12/14!

DoNotDisturb Tue 07-May-13 20:04:24

I've tried on a gazillion maxi dresses and at 35 weeks pregnant they all make look like a whale sad

BabyHMummy Tue 07-May-13 20:22:28

Nope sorry but pls post if you find any cos am looking too!!

Haylebop12 Tue 07-May-13 20:29:18

Ill second eBay. Got a new look maxi dress with nice thick straps, very comfortable for £7!

Try Boden. This time last year I lived in their navy maxi - wide straps, plain, very comfy. Expensive but worth it. I even laboured in it.

this year's version

dinkystinky Tue 07-May-13 20:37:16

I have a gorgeous jade green one from Seraphine - it has proper chunky shoulders and a lovely knot detail at the front - I love the colour and always get compliments in it (despite the enormous bump out front at 32 weeks).

New Look also do maxi dresses - I got a plain black one from Asos that again covers my bra straps perfectly. Costs £19 new, so the EBAY option sounds really good.

Steffanoid Tue 07-May-13 20:43:20

peacocks can have some good ones, tge one I've got from there has an elasticated bust so fits my expandedbust grin

Fairlygrounded Tue 07-May-13 20:47:45

I am currently living in my Monsoon maxi dress which fits most of your criteria - it is sleeveless so I'm wearing a little cardi to cover the arm flab, but you can wear a big, big bra and is very comfy. It's a bit magic really as fits me when skinny(ish) or like now when 38 weeks pregnant and massive!

FoofFighter Tue 07-May-13 21:06:49

I bought one today from George, cheap and cheerful, £12, it's new out this week and not online yet but here are some more.. it's the same shape as the moda smudge one near the bottom, v neck, cap sleeves, and in a kind of coral print, tried it on and looked lovely! very flattering as has a black band under the breasts that then goes round back into a belt so shows the bump off nicely. direct.asda.com/george/womens/maxi-dresses/D1M1G20C1S4,default,sc.html?psortb1=price&psortd1=1&viewAll

also tried the G21 stripy but it looked like a sack

Conana Tue 07-May-13 21:09:13

yes, the new look black one for ASOS is great. I've never done maxi dresses before but wish I had in previous pregnancies, it's incredibly comfy and cool but covers everything and thick enough not to see through. Also flappy enough to work for breastfeedin-my friend still wears hers. Shame it's not in other colours but black is flattering and hides lots of mess!

wispa31 Tue 07-May-13 21:35:28

i saw a few nice ones today in new look and peacocks! no strapless or spagetti straps either!!
defo going to get a few in myself, just hope we get the weather for it!

webminx Tue 07-May-13 21:36:01

ooh great suggestions there - thanks very much! I'll get looking and let you know if I find any more to add :-).

Myneaux Wed 08-May-13 09:11:08

Ive just ordered a plain navy blue one from asos...its a lovely fit (Im 20 weeks with my second so already have a medium sized bump...but there is plenty of growing room).

www.asos.com/ASOS-Maternity/ASOS-Maternity-Maxi-Dress-In-Stretch-Fabric/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2837773&cid=5813&Rf900=1465&Rf980=3665&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black

the straps are thick enough to wear a bra and although its is meant to be a bodycon type fit its very flattering and comfy (nice stretchy material but not too thin). I think they do it in a green too and its only £20...plus asos do free delivery and returns so always worth a try.

I wouldnt normally go for something so plain but there are lots of lovely chunky statement necklaces around to brighten it up a bit.

I ordered the 10 and its true to size but you may want to order your normal size and the next size up if you are better endowed than me !

lovemybabyboy Wed 08-May-13 14:26:33

Newlook have some nice ones.

IndecisivePramBuyer81 Wed 08-May-13 21:52:52

peacocks have a nice black new in this one I'm eyeing up £16, wide straps, slightly elasticated under boobs/above bump. They also have ot in a floral pattern. My mate who is 35wks is wearing one from Primark which I think looks good but could be a bit tight fitting. .going to see of I can pull one off myself on the wkend but there's a distinct possibility my arse will be too big!

CitizenOscar Wed 08-May-13 21:56:17

I've got a dark blue maternity maxi dress from new look (this season).

Also black non-maternity primark maxi dress (previous season) and a purple one which I think was from tkmaxx, also non-maternity.

All wide straps, plain and not too tight, so they do exist!

forgetmenots Wed 08-May-13 23:22:54

Honestly just bought four from primark, like big jersey vests, so comfy and £8/£10 each. Great and just what I wanted!

Simian0 Wed 08-May-13 23:49:26

Mamas & Papas have got a really nice maxi dress in at the mo. it's light grey, v-necked with a lime green trim. Pleated at the front over your bump. Nice enough I wore it to a wedding at 38 wks preggo, but not too smart it's not for a day mooching around in the park.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now