Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High BMI and folic acid

(4 Posts)
Blankiefan Tue 07-May-13 19:32:41

Had a useless midwife apt today (whole other thread!). I was left unconvinced about much of what I was told so hoped you could all help.

I have a high BMI (36) and have been taking the higher dose of folic acid (5mg). I thought I could stop at 12 weeks (which is what my prescription says - apparently that's "a mistake") but the MW says I should keep taking it, according to NICE guidelines. I've googled it up can't see this advice on the NICE site.

My concern is that I've read reports saying folic acid later in pregnancy can affect asthma (I had it as a child and DH still does so we're pretty aware of this). The MW was adamant but as she'd been rubbish about other things, I'd like to double check this but can't find the evidence. Can anyone help?

RJM17 Tue 07-May-13 19:35:08

I was told to take it til 12 weeks but not been back yet so don't know if they going to tell me to continue x

andadietcoke Tue 07-May-13 19:41:26

I carried on taking it because I was told to but at my 20w ante natal appt the registrar checked with the consultant and I should have stopped at 12w.

MaryannM Tue 07-May-13 19:41:26

I was on the higher dosage for first 12 wks and my consultant told me I don't need any at all after the scan (14wks) showed that the baby's spine was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now