Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

has anyone had any recent experiences with LRI?

(6 Posts)
nannynome Tue 07-May-13 15:32:40

I have heard mixed things about them especially the aftercare :/ Over thinking everything at the min, need my brain to settle down! Everything is just very new currently smile

PickleSarnie Tue 07-May-13 16:49:48

I had my DS1 there in September 2010. So not that recent but I couldn't say anything bad about them. They were all fantastic. You used to be able to be transferred to St Marys midwife centre in Melton for postnatal care if you wanted. Fairly sure that's still the case.

50BalesOfHay Tue 07-May-13 16:53:32

Gd had very complex birth, all very worrying but they were excellent with her.

YBR Tue 07-May-13 21:29:19

Leicester? not Leeds or something?
Had DD1 there 18 months ago and was back last week for 1st scan on DC2.
I'd rate their EPU and Sonography above the Leicester General.
I hear great things about St Mary's in Melton if you "qualify" for and choose a MW unit - DD1 was too early for that but it's my preferred option for DC2.

The LRI labour ward is very basic - I had a room with nothing but a chair, bed, sink and cot, no loo so I had to wander all round the ward (wearing very little) in labour to relieve myself. I gather the facilities at the QMC are better as they've been refurbished more recently, but I've not been there.

The ward I was on for a week post-nataly was mainly bays of 4 beds, and generally adequate/average care as far as I can tell. I struggle in hospital anyway (stress, lack of sleep, lack of privacy, bad memories and so on) so I can't say I enjoyed it, but I've had worse. I found the nursery nurses particularly helpful, and nobody was dismissive or abrupt. I continued to see a consultant for a couple of months after the birth and she was very good, OTOH if the witch wielding the forceps had been able to sew that wouldn't have been necessary. But you don't want me to start on that rant.

PickleSarnie Tue 07-May-13 21:46:10

Forgot about the lack of loos. Having to time loo trips between contractions was horrid.

They have private postnatal wards. I'm not sure if you can book one or whether it's first come first served. I got my own room but didnt ask for one, guess it what was free at the time.

I had a home birth for DS2. Not because of anything LRI did or didn't do but because I hate hospitals in general. I had a lot of bleeding in the early days though and had a million scans. All the sonographer and midwives I saw then were brilliant.

nannynome Thu 09-May-13 13:53:03

You are right, I got my initials wrong, I lived in Leicester too. I meant Leeds. My brain is fully confused currently. Will have to start thread all over again. LGI not LRI sorry! Everything is wonky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now