Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any ideas at when I might need maternity clothes/ when it might be obvious I'm PG (with DC2)

(15 Posts)
Toowittoowoo Tue 07-May-13 10:22:34

Despite this being my 2nd PG I really don't remember last time and was wondering if any of you could help me out? I am currently 12 weeks and have had my dating scan (and all fine) but I am wondering when I need to tell people at work?

I have no trouble telling my line manager and other close colleagues but I work with a large group of volunteers who are quite prone to gossiping and who I only see in person every 4 weeks. I was just trying to work out when it would be best to tell them.

Also my work trousers are getting a little tight when I sit down already but I have no idea when I'll need to go shopping for more. I live out in the sticks and shopping is a bit of hassle as I can't just pop to a shop in my lunch hour or something.

So sorry - this is the most boring post ever - just wwondered if anyone knew!!!

Toowittoowoo Tue 07-May-13 10:24:23

Sorry meant to post that in pregnancy! Will try to get it moved- silly toowitt!

littleducks Tue 07-May-13 10:28:14

I'm still in normal clothes at 17 weeks with dc 3. But I'm definitely a bit fatter, I have been wearing long tops which cover it for now.

Actual maternity clothes seem to be designed for a more defined bump rather than a less distributed podginess.

ChunkyPickle Tue 07-May-13 10:36:25

I was as normal at 17 weeks, but at about 20 something went pop - those that know me would probably guess, and my normal trousers still just do up, but are very uncomfortable... Now at 22, I really don't want to wear my normal trousers any more, and it's probably fairly obvious to strangers too.

It definitely came on all of a sudden, rather than the more gradual growth that I had the first time.

TeWiSavesTheDay Tue 07-May-13 10:38:13

Close to 20wks, at I guess? I find when I switch it is more for comfort than absolutely having to, iykwim.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 07-May-13 10:56:00

Hello

We've moved this to Pregnancy at the OP's request.

nextphase Tue 07-May-13 10:56:29

Ds1 I was in maternity gear aboutr 16 weeks.
DS2 I made it past 20 ('cause I was still in my clothes at Christmas) but I started in larger clothes
Congrats on No2!

mycatlikestwiglets Tue 07-May-13 16:01:01

Dc1 I was in maternity clothes at 9 weeks. Now 15 wks pregnant with DC2 and just going into mat gear, although I can still wear my normal jeans with a hair tie around the button. I'm petite though (5'3 and size 6-8) so there's nowhere for my baby to go but out!

FairyPenguin Tue 07-May-13 16:04:54

DC1 - I was about 17 weeks or so
DC2 - I was 10 weeks!

themilkmonster Tue 07-May-13 16:25:24

I think I was around 20wks when I got mat clothes, but I'd lost some weight at the beginning due to sickness so my usual clothes still fitted me for longer than they probably would have done otherwise. I'm sure that you don't legally have to tell work till you're 25wks, they may guess before then though if you kept quiet smile

MummyBurrows Tue 07-May-13 16:39:48

You buy maternity clothes when you have a big enough bump to fit into them,probably worth just undoing your top trouser button at work for now. If it helps you can buy special elasticated bits of fabric online (amazon do them) that attach in the button hole of trouser/jeans to make them last longer before needing to buy any maternity bottoms and obviously a cheaper solution.I didn't need any with my first pregnancy as I could get away with just buying the next size up in normal clothes but did have 1 maternity top towards the end of my pregnancy but I was all bump so I could stay in my normal bottoms all the way through. This time round I'm much bigger much earlier-im 17wks bt look 6months!-so will probably invest in a few tops to get me through but as far as bottoms go,I think I'm just going to buy the next size up but so far I'm looking likely to be all bump again so I may not have to worry...leggings will be my go-to though if need be,I hate maternity bottoms I find they're incredibly unflattering on me and being only 5ft1 means they're always far too long in the leg!

As for telling people,you can tell whoever you want once you're over the 12wk mark as that's considered the "safe" point.if a few people at work already know then once you start showing or they work out you're past the 12wk mark the gossip will probably spread anyway as nobody will feel the need to keep it a secret anymore so its probably best coming from you incase some people start making snide remarks amount how much weight you've put on/how "fat" you've become behind your back. If very few people at work know then there won't be anyone to correct them on your changing appearance,well unless you turn out to be all bump,in which case it will be kinda obvious lol!

littleducks Tue 07-May-13 22:36:14

Yes I remember with dc2 the almost overnight bump as my stomach muscles just seemed to give up!

Beatrixpotty Wed 08-May-13 10:09:31

With DCs 2&3 I could disguise it with floaty tops and drapey cardigans at work until 15 weeks when I told them.Then the maternity wear came out!

Machli Wed 08-May-13 10:21:41

At about 4 months for me. It seemed very sudden too. One day he was there!

Snowflakepie Wed 08-May-13 12:38:06

About 16 weeks with DC2 for me, mainly as my work trousers had a rigid waistband. Under bump trousers with a bump band to hide the foul band and then normal but longer tops saw me to about 26 weeks. Proper maternity shirts were still huge but could be tied in, I got some wrap style ones that I can adjust up to the end. Needed nice over bump jeans at 21 weeks, the under bump ones just got really uncomfy then and these stay up brilliantly, I must have tried every sort going!

You can tell work whenever you feel happy to do so, if you think they will gossip then I would say something sooner rather than later tbh. I told mine at 5 weeks but then a few people knew I was trying anyway. They are good friends as well as colleagues though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now