Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does big belly mean big baby?

(19 Posts)
ElBombero Mon 06-May-13 23:16:21

Because I'm huge and scared!!!

ChablisLover Mon 06-May-13 23:17:34

How far on are you?

I was huge and had a ten pounder.

Others I know - they were huge but had small babies.

It all depends.

TryDrawing Mon 06-May-13 23:20:34

I don't think it's a reliable guide. I was measuring so small I got a growth scan but still got an 8 pounder.

gallicgirl Mon 06-May-13 23:22:46

Nope, could be all fluid.
I looked like Mr Greedy after Christmas lunch but gave birth to a 7 pounder.
Ask relatives, especially mum and sisters how big their babies were and you probably won't be far wrong.

worsestershiresauce Tue 07-May-13 06:57:22

As others have said, not necessarily. If you are short, or slim with a small frame your bump is going to stick out much more than if you are tall, as the baby doesn't have anywhere to hide. I looked like I might topple over at any minute, it was comical. My baby was just under 8 lbs.

Sanjifair Tue 07-May-13 07:25:03

I had huge bump and had a 9lb 9 oz baby.

Lamazeroo Tue 07-May-13 07:27:38

My DS was born at 42+2. I only measured 39 weeks at that point. He was 10lb! I don't think you can deduce much from bump size.

PoppyAmex Tue 07-May-13 07:29:08

Not always, I don't think but I was huge and had a 12lb baby shock

Ledkr Tue 07-May-13 07:30:42

Look in my profile. I was bloody huge.
I measured 47 weeks at 36 wks.
Dd was 7.13
I had massive amounts of fluid. Good luck.

MrsMangoBiscuit Tue 07-May-13 07:32:24

Huge bump, 9lb 1oz baby, 2' tall, slender and all arms and legs, with lots of fluid.

Second time round(no pun intended) I'm big again, but not worrying abut it this time.

I've also known people who had neat little bumps, and wince inducingly large babies. So I agree with TryDrawing, I don't think it's a reliable guide.

StiffyByng Tue 07-May-13 08:03:00

Pregnant for the second time with a small bump. Last time round I was sent for a growth scan because I measured small. Ended up with a 9lb 1oz baby. This time round am measuring spot on for dates but am pretty sure I'm incubating another large baby. My friend is due 4 weeks after me, and she had a 6lber last time. We were out together last week and people were asking if we were due on the same day as her bump is so much bigger than mine. My guess is we'll have differently sized babies again.

apachepony Tue 07-May-13 08:06:35

I was all bump. 6lb 7oz baby. I do carry fat on my middle though so a lot of that bump was fat I think!

willitbe Tue 07-May-13 09:26:08

With my second baby I was huge, all through pregnancy midwives kept questioning was it twins!

Turned out to be my smallest at 7lb3oz. The gush of waters was like a tidal wave though in the end!

With my last pregnancy I had a significantly smaller , that was despite the baby being 2lbs heavier at 9 lbs. there was very little water that time.

So bump size it no predictor of size of baby.

Also I was on the labour ward with a woman whose bump was very small, she was sent for growth scans which indicated a small baby, so she was given a tour of SCBU as the were concerned that the baby may need help after the birth. The baby was born vaginally (first time mother) to a 12lb baby (ouch!). They had brought prem baby clothes to the hospital but had to go and buy 0-3 and 3-6 month sizes as the newborn size was far too small.!!!!

So just love your bump what ever the size and know that the weight will only be known after the baby is born. Congrats on you pregnany.

I

I was ginormous with ds - he was 8 12 and the placenta was 3x as big as 'standard' my midwife took a picture of it grin i could easily have carried twins it was that big so don'y worry about big baby wink

beckie90 Tue 07-May-13 10:07:35

Nope I don't think bump size tells a lot to be honest, ds1 was bigger I went to 42wks he was born 6ib8, ds2 I was tiny looked about 4 month preg at end, I had him on time more or less and he was 9ib and had a very big placenta. And I'm not exactly very tall so not much place for him to hide, Im 5'6 and size 8 when gave birth

HadALittleFaithBaby Tue 07-May-13 11:01:39

I was neat and measuring about 36 when I was 38 weeks so we didn't think she'd be big but actually she was tiny at 5lb 4oz. I had loads of waters gush forth which I guess made up a lot of the bump!

SignoraStronza Tue 07-May-13 11:15:11

I'm short and had massive amounts of fluid - measuring 42 weeks at 30. I actually looked like Mr Bump! Had two normal sized babies.

SIL - tall, willowy anorexic glamourpuss French woman. Barely a bump and out popped a 10 pounder. She must have been hiding it under her ribs.

GibberTheMonkey Tue 07-May-13 11:16:20

Small bump
9lb 14 baby

Bigger bump
7lb 14 baby.

So many factors, fat, waters, size of baby, muscle tone...

GibberTheMonkey Tue 07-May-13 11:18:13

Oh and height

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now