Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tens Machine - to use or not?

(8 Posts)
ButteryJam Mon 06-May-13 13:30:10

Hi,

What's the verdict and your experience of using a Tens Machine?

Does it:

a. Work
b. Slow down labour/affect natural release of chemicals?

crikeybadger Mon 06-May-13 13:40:33

Well, they worked for me- 3 drug free labours at home.

But not everyone gets on with them and they don't help everyone.

Guess, like most things, you give it a try and see how you feel about it.

Beckmum4 Mon 06-May-13 13:55:35

I borrowed one with my 3dds and it was brilliant it kept me at home longer than I thought I could stay and was a good pain relief at home I'm going to hire one this time definitely

BuggedByJake Mon 06-May-13 14:01:24

I used one with both labours. Found it mire useful second time when I felt more in control.Definitely helps with the contractions although I can't really explain why iynwim.
I've never heard it can slow labour but mine were 24hrs & 5 hrs.

Keepsmilingsunshine Mon 06-May-13 14:13:27

Found it a huge help first time round and will be using one again with DC2. I would recommend borrowing one if you can but if not hire, it may make the world of difference to you and if not, take it off and don't use it.

LoganMummy Mon 06-May-13 16:01:34

For me it was more a welcome distraction and nice sensation than about actual pain relief. Having said that I'm planning on using my TENS for this pregnancy as well.

ButteryJam Mon 06-May-13 18:05:08

Thanks everyone! Better test the one I've been given to borrow smile

Celaun Mon 06-May-13 20:03:41

Worked for me - got to 8cms just on the TENS with DC1 before asking for any pain relief and had completely drug free labour at home with DC2. I do know others who found it useless though so my advice would be to try it and fingers crossed it will work for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now