Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chances of getting pregnant with the cooper coil?

(8 Posts)
knock Mon 06-May-13 10:59:16

Hi there, I am wondering if I could be pregnant! Last period around 26th March it was a short one not uncommon for me though then I had a bleed mid month (never before). I have the copper coil fitted for a year now. I am now well over due my period and I did a test this morning but its come back negative however I'm still not sure!! No real pregnancy signs but I didn't have any before etiher! Anyone experience similar? Feedback would be greatful

Kelly1814 Mon 06-May-13 15:17:34

i had one for a year, loved it. never got pregnant.

had it removed, got pregnant 17 days later!

Fairy130389 Mon 06-May-13 15:29:59

I had it for about 3 years and loved it. I did have wierd periods though and after about a year they started to stop completely, maybe that is what's happening to you?!

It is unlikely to get preg on the coil, providing it hasn't moved or fallen out! MIL did like to scare me regularly by telling me that she conceived my husband on it... but a lot has changed since 1984! You are probably fine, good luck!

Pusspuss1 Mon 06-May-13 19:56:39

Chances are very, very low - as long as it's still there! Can you feel your threads?

snickersnacker Mon 06-May-13 20:37:19

It's unlikely but it's possible, and more likely with a copper coil than a modern IUS like Mirena. See your doctor if your period doesn't come - the risk of ectopic is higher with a copper coil.

RandomMess Mon 06-May-13 20:40:05

Erm the copper coil works by irritating your womb lining so in theory it's possible to get have a fertilised egg every month but it just doesn't implant properly due to the coil making your body reject it...

Clouise1626 Wed 08-May-13 18:13:45

I had the copper coil fitted August 2012. I am now due my second baby July 2013, so yes you can become pregnant on the coil!

lala21 Wed 08-May-13 18:36:44

I had the copper coil fitted in May 2011, and am 17 weeks with my 3rd.
My periods were always heavy with it and my last one in January was a normal one. I thought great its finally regulated it and back to normal.

No chance, doc could not find it and so here I am with baby due in Oct- so like Clouise1626 it is possible.

I'd go to your doctors and b examined, also second the risk of ectopic pregnancy too. Good Luck x x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now