Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Chest infection 31 weeks

(4 Posts)
Rhubarb78 Mon 06-May-13 09:35:40

hi, has anyone else had a chest infection in pregnancy? This started about a week ago and the coughing was so bad I was getting loads of painful braxton hicks, thankfully the bh have settled down but I am still coughing green stuff up and feel wiped out. I can't decide if I should go to a walk in or just wait it out and rest. If they won't/can't give me anything I don't want to sit there for hours to be told to go home and rest iyswim. Just wondered if anyone else has had the same and how it panned out. Baby moving well so not concerned about that side of things

jimblejambles Mon 06-May-13 09:44:03

I had a chest infection at 29 weeks. I went to the dr and was give antibiotics and told to rest.
She also recommended drinking lemon tea which helps soothe your throat.
Go to the doctor just to get checked hope you feel better soon

Petcat Mon 06-May-13 17:34:19

I'm 36 weeks and just coming to the end of a two week chest infection. Mine was caused by a virus so I didn't take antibiotics. I found the coughing much worse at night, I've been waking up coughing all night long. A week ago it was so bad the coughing fits would make me throw up and pee myself at bit just to add to the misery blush It left my bump really sore across the top, and I had lots of braxton hicks too.

GP said baby will be completely fine, and there's not much you can do for a cough during pregnancy. You are allowed to take the honey and lemon linctus cough syrup for tickly coughs as it's just sugar-water with no active ingredients. I also made myself home made lemsips using lemon juice, honey and effervescent paracetamol. My GP also prescribed me some peptac anti-heartburn stuff, as apparently acid reflux at night can also set off the coughing.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

Rhubarb78 Mon 06-May-13 21:23:48

thanks for you replies. I went to the walk in today and they just said its viral so no antibiotics. Not complaining at that as I don't want to take anything unless its necessary. I am just so fed up though, I cant do anything without becoming breathless, I am all congested and the cough is so annoying. I am meant to be in work tomorrow but I am exhausted and I also have a very active 14 month old to chase around. For the first time this pregnancy I am actually thinking that a newborn and a toddler will be easier to manage than a toddler with a heavily pregnant mother!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now