Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breast feeding after elective CS - advice please...

(21 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Mon 06-May-13 07:30:20

Only managed a week bf with DD1 - nearly five years ago. Had EMCS and was in trauma for a few days because of problems with epidural. In the end it was so painful and she dropped so much weight I had both MW HV and GP telling me I either FF her or we both went back to hospital. This time round I've got an ELCS on Wednesday morning (2 days time!) and want to breastfeed DD2 for as long as I can - what/ where and when!!? I have the lanishol (sp) cream - but is it worth getting nipple guards - and how much pain is too much? Ladies? Xxx

shelley72 Mon 06-May-13 07:40:41

I personally wouldn't buy the shield until you know that you need them. I think first time round for me the mw actually supplied them to help me out. What I would suggest though is getting as much help as you possibly can with feeding - on the ward, from mws hvs groups helplines etc and if you're finding it painful to ask to have latch checked. The first few sucks can hurt but feeding shouldn't be a painful thing.
That cream is really good, use lots!

Sorry am on phone so it's short but you can feed successfully after a section and hope it all goes well for you.

meglet Mon 06-May-13 07:44:16

I found bf after my planned cs a million times easier than after the EMCS. After the EMCS it took DS 3 weeks to latch on so I was pretty much at breaking point by then and I only managed 3 months of mixed feeding.

After the planned cs bf was easy. I attempted skin to skin in theatre but it was a PITA as I though I would drop DD so I waited a couple of hours to bf. There wasn't a single problem feeding her, she latched on straight away and my milk came in on day 3/4. I just made sure I rested for the best part of a month so I could recover from the op.

With a bit of luck you'll find it much better this time around. You will have a good nights sleep before the cs and know what you're doing with a baby from the start. It's nothing like the stress and pain from an EMCS.

muffins Mon 06-May-13 07:46:21

I managed to breastfeed DD after a crash section and her being in SCBU for 12 hours so it can be done. Was very lucky at my hospital they have 'little angels' who help and come to ur house afterwards for as long as you like for months. Have a look on the bottle and breast feeding topic they're great over there x

carrielou2007 Mon 06-May-13 20:33:42

I bf dd until 16 months and ds until just after he was 2 so thought if ff did not enter my head. Had EMCS last Sunday and have found bf a struggle. Ds2 dropped a lot if weight and struggled to latch on, hospital j delivered st very busy no help at all.

Transferred to local hospital who were fab. He's 8 days old now and if still takes time each feed but we get there. By day 3 I was literally tearing my hair out, milk came in and things improved dramatically.

I've found it really hard going this time around but if you really want to keep going you really can. However if you can't most important thing is that your baby us fed by whatever method grin

carrielou2007 Mon 06-May-13 20:34:47

Forgot to say dd and ds1 were not sections and fed easily

CareerGirl01 Mon 06-May-13 20:41:55

I'm getting worried about latching on - cant remember how I positioned DD1! But I've made some contacts today and found out nearby clinics. That way I can have some support in place. Is good to
hear all of your stories - I'm going to try and hang on in there this time.

Beatrixpotty Mon 06-May-13 20:46:19

I've had 3 ELCSs ,last one 8 weeks ago,and have breastfed successfully after each one.Takes a bit l

Beatrixpotty Mon 06-May-13 20:57:55

Sorry.posted too soon trying to type & bf simulataneously!Takes a bit longer for the milk to come in after ELCS as hormonal changes different to natural labour.Do as much skin to skin as you can.Starting in recovery is enough,doesn't have to be in theatre .Be prepared for endless sucking for 48 hours,with DS3 I had no milk for 3 days & couldn't put him down as he was constantly wanting to suck but once the milk came in he was so much more settled and I'm glad I persevered even though it was tiring..Pain-wise you will be on so much analgesia following the section it won't be uncomfortable.Needed Lansinoh for cracked nipples the first time but not the other 2,think it was due to technique.If the latch is right it shouldn't be uncomfortable.Make the most of the help available on the ward.There was a lot of bf support had I needed it.Hope it goes well on Wednesday!

CareerGirl01 Mon 06-May-13 21:06:36

Thanks potty as I'll be in hospital three days at two nights (possibly) I can make the most of the help available! They do gentle c sections there.

WidowWadman Mon 06-May-13 21:10:05

I've breastfed both after EMCS and after ELCS without any real problems. Children were first latched on after about 45 minutes once I was stitched back together.

Never used any shields or cream, just the sympathetic ear of my peer supporter.

issimma Tue 07-May-13 08:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Echocave Sat 11-May-13 16:59:52

Can I ask a stupid question? I had elcs with dc1 cos of low lying placenta. Looks like it'll happen again this time. But my milk didn't come in til about day 3 and by then dc1 had lost lots of weight (they weighed her cos of jaundice).
I didn't do much skin to skin which I now think was a mistake and had to syringe in the colostrum in recovery. How do the babies get enough nourishment if your milk hasn't come in?

AngryAndLost Sat 11-May-13 17:33:00

Echocave, your question is not stupid! After my EMCS milk did not come for about 24 hours, but I was putting my DD to the breast every time she cried. DD was hungry, so MW gave her formula to drink from the cup ( no bottle as baby can get used to it v.fast and then refuse to latch on breast). Baby has to be put to breast a lot- to stimulate milk production. Breastfed my DD for 7 months exclusively without any problems after that.

Echocave Sat 11-May-13 18:39:55

Thank you for that answer!
I did it all wrong as DC was v sleepy and didn't cry for milk. If same happens this time, I will keep waking the baby up and trying it as it sounds like that might get my milk going a bit earlier.
I ended up mix feeding last time and dc was never very contented at the breast as she knew that a bottle delivered the goods quicker!!

Echocave Sat 11-May-13 18:43:42

Thank you for that answer!
I did it all wrong as DC was v sleepy and didn't cry for milk. If same happens this time, I will keep waking the baby up and trying it as it sounds like that might get my milk going a bit earlier.
I ended up mix feeding last time and dc was never very contented at the breast as she knew that a bottle delivered the goods quicker!!

Beatrixpotty Sun 12-May-13 15:28:10

echo with my first one especially I didn't let go of him for 2 days ,the midwives even commented on it and joked that you can't spoil a new baby,so determined was I to do skin to skin & get the milk going as I had been told ELCS made it harder.They do get some nutrition from colostrom.Despite the milk not coming in for 2 days my first 2 lost no birth weight at all,my 3rd one did but I was very anaemic after the section which affects the milk coming in.As I said the first 48 hours are hard but don't give up,good luck!

redwellybluewelly Sun 12-May-13 18:11:59

Thank you for posting OP, I've an ELCS booked in a few weeks and BFing after it is a major worry of mine.

I went to hell and back to feed DC1 after she spent two weeks in NICU in a coma and was tube fed. Mix fed for three weeksdue to low ssupply and babay weight loss, then she just cracked it an fed to 27months! It was very very tough indeed, I remember crying at every feed, blood and blistering, constantly being in pain from nipple blanching and also trying to express enough for her top up feeds.

This time I have been booked in with the lactation consultant at the hospital to visit after we've got back to the ward, I know all the peer supporters in the area, and I'm also hoping for an easier first few weeks with oodles of skin to skin.

redwellybluewelly Sun 12-May-13 18:13:08

Meant to also say, GOOD LUCK!

CareerGirl01 Sun 12-May-13 19:27:58

Hi guys - well I've had DD2 and managing to breastfeed! But it's tough. She latched well and was on my boobs most of the first two days but now I'm a bit sore - milk has come in but I do feel that the CS had probably meant we have a bit more to learn - her and I. Her mouth is tiny and getting all her nipple into my mouth is tough. I'm keeping going though and seeing a lactation consultant on Tuesday - also hooking up with other mums in my area on Facebook who are giving me fantastic advice. I will get through this - because it is the best thing for her.

gertrudestein Sun 12-May-13 19:43:45

Congratulations!!!! Was hoping to read some news from you soon. So glad the CS went ok and you have your gorgeous DD - I have nothing useful to add, just wanted to say congrats! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now