Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Carpal Tunnel?!

(9 Posts)
Repeatedlydoingthetwist Sun 05-May-13 21:11:39

Hi ladies,

I'm 32 weeks and over the last couple of days my hand has started to hurt like buggery. It's my writing hand and when I bend my wrist it feels like something is pulling in it all along the back of my hand and index finger. I've consulted good ol' Dr. Google and found out that carpal tunnel syndrome is quite common in pregnancy. So, I was wondering if any of you had ever been diagnosed by a real doctor with this, and if so what it felt like and what you did to relieve it.

Thanks smile

Makinglists Sun 05-May-13 21:17:22

I got it just after DS1 was born (trust me to be different!!). The worst symptons were at night when I would get shooting pains in my lower arms and tingling in my hands. In the day I had less pain but hands often tingled/felt numb. I found wrist splints at night really helped but ultimately I went on to have surgery - that said most women who have it in pregnancy find that the symptons fade after birth.

Jayne266 Sun 05-May-13 21:21:46

I had mine very early on in my pregnancy and ended up speaking to a physiotherapist colleague of mine and got some exercises and it went before my DS was born.

kicker Sun 05-May-13 21:37:39

Hi, I got this with my third pregnancy. I found wearing wrist splints helped, www.activebacks-direct.co.uk/?gclid=CLns4KLo_7YCFc3HtAodDjEAtw#/wrist-supports/4555495932

GingerDoodle Sun 05-May-13 21:58:38

I have always had problems with pins and needles in my hands when I loose circulation but the last 3 months of my pregnancy were really really bad with it; very problematic as i type for a living.

On a good day it hurt, on a bad day I was dosed up on paracetmol and it felt like I had broke my fingers.

Essentially my hands were swollen compressing the nerve which runs up the wrist.

I went to the Dr but ended up going on health insurance to a London physio (i work near Harley St). They were lovely - massage, eletro-therapy, bandages and splints helped. Oddly the best splint I had was one of my nans old ones! Shop around as some are better than others.

Mine improved after birth and now i just loose circulation and get the pins and needles which I can cope with! I also can hear the nerve being compressed sometimes and get an instant severe bout of pins and needles which is disconcerting.

CherryPie3 Mon 06-May-13 10:42:06

Hi...

I had carpal tunnel in the last trimester of my last pregnancy in my writing hand. It felt like my index finger and thumb would snap apart if I moved them. I could grip anything either. It was awful but eventually fade away after the birth.

I never considered getting a splint/wrist support - good idea! My doctor never mentioned it either. hmm

quietlysuggests Mon 06-May-13 10:44:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Repeatedlydoingthetwist Mon 06-May-13 15:54:09

Thanks ladies, glad to hear it should fade after my DC is born! I might try a splint in the meantime though, sounds like it worked for a few of you smile

Springforward Mon 06-May-13 18:47:41

I have this, also had it while pregnant with DS. I wear splints on both wrists at night which controls it completely (I bought mine off Amazon, would recommend ones designed for women as I found myself between sizes in Futuro splints which GPs tend to recommend in first instance). If I don't wear them I get pain during the night, then wake with parts of my hands numb, which go through pins and needles before resolving on a good day and which I'd be stuck with on a bad day.

As it went of its own accord last time GP seems to be optimistic that it will this time too, though has said that he will refer me onto a consultant if it doesn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now