Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hot, red breast - normal?

(5 Posts)
PinkParsnips Sun 05-May-13 18:17:32

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and my right breast has a red patch on it covering about a third of my breast and its really hot to the touch but not sore or itchy.

Its sort of been there since I've been pregnant but seems to be a bit worse this week. It looks like sunburn.

Is this totally normal or should I mention to the midwife? I'm not seeing her again until the 24th

BedHanger Sun 05-May-13 18:32:02

Hello, sounds like it may be mastitis. You could try gently massaging the area in a hot bath. If you start feeling fluey then go to your GP as you may need antibiotics. If it stays the same I would definitely mention it to your midwife if it doesn't go away by then - you could also ring them for advice?

PinkParsnips Sun 05-May-13 20:49:13

Oh thanks for that, I'll definitely keep an eye on it and mention to the midwife then. I was hoping it was just a normal hormonal thing, I didn't know you could get mastitis unless breastfeeding!

looneytune Sun 05-May-13 21:20:52

I was going to say the same thing. This is not 'normal' as such, not like the usual sore nipples/achy breasts a lot of us get. Having a hot area suggest infection of some kind so definitely don't feel it's something you should just ignore. If its not too bad then do what BedHanger said but if it's bothering you or doesn't improve in the next day or 2, I'd get it checked out in case it gets worse. I've never had mastitis myself but friends have and I know its horrible. Hope you feel better soon.

CareerGirl01 Mon 06-May-13 07:42:04

I had what felt like 'flu' in my left breast - it was hot and achey - after having DD1 - it was mastitis. Antibiotics sorted it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now