Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Food aversions..please tell me it will go away!!

(15 Posts)
embaker112 Sun 05-May-13 16:07:37

My nausea is letting up a little now at 9+2, it's still there but pretty mild. However, the food aversions are still going strong. I can't eat most things likelike peanut butter, chocolate, bread, most veggies, complex meals and even tea!! I'm eating children-like meals like fish fingers and mashed potato every day. Does this fade away at the end of the first trimester with morning sickness? It's really affecting my life, I can't go to eat with friends and I think DH must be so fed up with shopping and eating weird meals!

Teaandflapjacks Sun 05-May-13 16:16:36

i am 26 weeks - and i can still only manage basic carbs, no meat. I live on special k, plain pasta - sometimes with a home made tomato sauce, cheese and tomato sandwiches on white bread. thats basically it! everything else makes me vomit. I honestly dream about things like lasagne - a lot!! I would eat it, but I cant bear being sick again and again - so eat very basic food to avoid it. I once craved tuna baked potato - terrible mistake. sad but for most people this goes at 12 or latest 16 weeks I was told - so fingers crossed fro you too!!! xx

javabean Sun 05-May-13 16:56:07

I had similar in both pregnancies, and it faded around 12-13 weeks with the nausea. I lived on mash and beans for a while as couldn't face anything complicated! Going off chocolate was really weird as normally I love the stuff.

Don't worry about your DH, sure he can sort out his own 'grown up' food if he wants!! Just eat what you can smile

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 17:03:27

It will definitely go away. Don't worry smile

afrikat Sun 05-May-13 17:13:44

I was exactly the same and it didn't go until about 16/17 weeks but am back to normal now. Annoyingly I went off most healthy foods that I usually live off - salads, beans, lentils etc. all I wanted was cheese and white carbs sad

Indigrl Sun 05-May-13 17:18:43

I'm 5 weeks and have nausea and diarrhoea sad

GlitterFingers Sun 05-May-13 17:21:05

It might not sorry. I went off egg at the very start of pregnancy and I was only able to eat it when the baby was about 3 months old. I love eggs as well hmm

DXBMermaid Sun 05-May-13 17:27:40

Am 37+4 and still can not eat steak or other red meat (mince is okay as long as it's part of a sauce)

Hoping it will go away after delivery. Must be the iron as spinach also tastes rank at the moment.

SourSweets Sun 05-May-13 17:30:34

I was on plain carbs and dry salad for quite a while after my morning sickness faded. Some things I still can't eat at 27 weeks, but it's definitely better than it was. Still no tea but last night I had my first pizza in 6 months which was excellent!

cupcake78 Sun 05-May-13 17:48:30

32 weeks and some aversions are starting to fade. After birth they do go away!

Smerlin Sun 05-May-13 20:31:45

It will go away! I am nearly 16 weeks and have been pretty much back to eating normally for about a week or so- there are still things I don't want but not like in the 1st trimester when I was like you and wanted only simple plain food, carbs, meals without lots of different flavours etc and basically had more aversions than foods I could eat.

I went off all fruit (including juice), all veg and all meat and thought it would never end but it has (very gradually though!)

PumpkinPie2013 Sun 05-May-13 20:50:17

I'm certainly hoping it will go away! I'm 9+6 and still struggling with nausea and retching so finding it hard to eat normal adult portions or normal meals :-(

I've gone off lamb completely and struggle with pork, can't face eggs or bananas either :-(

Meals generally are a struggle though! I'm living off toast, tangerines, hash browns from work canteen and baxters carrot and corriander soup!! Trying to drink plenty of fresh fruit juice/smoothies to at least get some goodness from that. Plus I try to eat some of my evening meal (usually made by husband at the moment).

Hoping the nausea/retching eases soon and the bloating!

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 06-May-13 06:57:53

My DD is 3 weeks old. I had aversion to tea <sob> and yoghurt. From day 1 I could drink tea again. Yesterday I had yoghurt for the first time and liked it - at one point I was so anti-yoghurt I heaved in the dairy ailse in the supermarket! So yes, mine went away smile

HadALittleFaithBaby Mon 06-May-13 06:59:53

(Sorry I'm a bit sleep deprived!)
With the tea I had mostly decaf but gradually could drink some tea from 2nd trimester onwards. The yoghurt not until after pregnancy.
You should be ok to start reintroducing some things as the sickness improves.

HeffalumpTheFlump Mon 06-May-13 09:48:27

My food aversions faded at about 11 weeks, before that the thought of anything but a few select foods made me so nauseous I could cry. Now I'm back to having a good varied diet back to eating most of the foods I enjoyed before. The only one that has stayed on the banned list (it is not mentioned in this house) is cuppa soups eurgh!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now