Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When you were 17 weeks

(10 Posts)
Yonididnaedaethat Sun 05-May-13 10:15:30

pregnant, would you still have bought a normal dress or a maternity dress (for a wedding).

I'm only 12 weeks but saw a lovely dress in the maternity section of New Look, the only problem is I'm not sure how much of a bump I'll have at 17 weeks hmm don't want to leave dress shopping until the last minute either.

Smerlin Sun 05-May-13 10:19:59

I think everyone's different but I am nearly 16 wks and my normal dresses in my normal size don't fit that well.

I can wear the ones that are completely loose around the tummy but bizarrely even some of those feel tight around my rib cage- not sure why!!

I would go for a wrap dress then there is margin for error...

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 05-May-13 10:25:21

I'm 17 weeks today and my bump is starting to really stick out. I wouldn't fit in a fitted non maternity dress but I can still fit in the floaty styles. Iv been quite surprised how much more pregnant I look this week than last week after being in the pudgy looking zone for so long!!

Lj8893 Sun 05-May-13 10:30:15

Think your a little early shopping for a dress to wear in 5 weeks time, as everyone is different and you really have no idea what size you will be then!
I am 15 weeks and have a wedding when I'm 18 weeks and have just bought a dress (which has room for growth) and only decided to buy it as I suddenly grew a bump over night so I felt safe with an idea of how large I will be. Also I will have time to take the dress back if I suddenly get massive!!

I would say leave it until your at least 3 weeks away from the wedding, because a) your hopefully not likely to grow to much in a 3 weeks period and b) you should have time to change it depending on the stores refund policy.

Also, my dress isn't maternity, even though I do have a distinct bump, I managed ok with a standard monsoon dress (just a size bigger!)

Kelly1814 Sun 05-May-13 10:51:15

I'm 17+5 today, have gained one pound and have no bump.

size 10 trousers are starting to feel a bit tight but I am still in normal clothes. not sure of your build but i'm 5 foot 9 and around 58 kilos.

i think it depends on the style of dress you have in mind to wear...as others have said floaty or wrap would be fine i'm sure.

MummyJetsetter Sun 05-May-13 11:15:03

You should get it, as long as it's not hugely baggy it'll be fine, you may have a little. Ump by then. If it doesn't fit you by then you'll still have it for later on in pregnancy. x

lollypopsicle Sun 05-May-13 11:20:35

It could go either way. I would wait it out another few weeks before deciding on a dress. My friend got married at 18wks. Her bump suddenly popped out a week before the wedding and the dress no longer fitted. She had to buy another dress 2 days before.

Bunnychan Sun 05-May-13 11:21:06

It depends on the cut of the dress! Things felt really tight round my ribs at 17 weeks (at 37 weeks they fit again there but not my belly lol!) you could try buying a larger size. I wore a maternity dress at 16 weeks which fit lovely but found my maternity tights kept falling down! Lol x

badguider Sun 05-May-13 11:23:55

I'm 22 weeks and still wouldn't buy a maternity dress - an ordinary one in a size bigger fits me so long as it's empire line or wrap or stretchy. Though tights are a bigger issue as they fall down without a waist anymore.
My biggest issue is my bigger boobs - they say buy maternity stuff in your pre-preg size but that doesn't allow enough room for my boobs. If I were you i'd do some research now but not buy till 1-2 weeks before the event.

SourSweets Sun 05-May-13 12:01:32

I'm 27 weeks and am wearing non-maternity stretch bodycon dresses, but I have a friend at 15 weeks who will be in maternity very soon. It's totally dependant on your body. I'm sure you will be able to get something 1 or 2 weeks in advance, otherwise it's really just a total guess!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now