Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Evening Primrose Oil - anyone taking?

(19 Posts)
ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 06:37:33

Hi,

Just read about Evening Primrose Oil and how it could be inserted vaginally to soften cervix. I'm 37 weeks, how many capsules should I insert and how?

Anyone else using EPO? Any success stories?

Cookethenook Sun 05-May-13 09:03:06

I am!
I take two orally and one vaginally at night.
I also take 4 raspberry leaf tablets pd.

No idea if the epo is making a difference, but my hair and skin have been amazing since I started, so it's certainly doing something!

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 09:38:48

Cookethenooke, thanks! smile

Do you just insert the vaginal one or do you prick it 1st? Does it smell?

Did you ask midwife before using?

Also what's the dosage you are taking? And does it affect your digestive system by any chance? (The ones taken orally)

Cookethenook Sun 05-May-13 11:52:41

I did prick it first to begin with but it was a bit messy when putting it in! They still dissolve perfectly well when they go in whole, so I don't see the need really. Smells a bit like hay I think! I do wear a pantyliner the next day too, but that's more of a precaution in case it hasnt all been absorbed overnight, as I don't really want oily clothes.

Didn't ask my midwife. Probably should have done first, but I couldn't find any info about serious negative effects of epo so I figured it'd be ok.

I can't say I've noticed an effect on my digestive system and I've been taking them orally for about 4 weeks. The tablets are 500mg ones.

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 13:03:50

Cookethenook, thanks! May I ask which brand you are using? I need to get the vegetarian capsule ones and wondering whether they'll dissolve in just as well ...

beckie90 Sun 05-May-13 13:06:28

I did with ds2, and plan to this time too. I didn't take many orally, I just inserted 1 at night time. I don't know if it helped but I was induced 14 days over with ds1 and ds2s labour started on its own on my due date x

Cookethenook Sun 05-May-13 13:07:03

I had trouble finding veggie ones too! I ended up getting 'Efamol' ones from amazon which are vegetarian.

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 13:21:07

beckie90, thanks for sharing that! smile
The more people I hear that have inserted it, the more I increase in confidence that yes I can insert it in! blush

Cookethenooke, thanks!

beckie90 Sun 05-May-13 13:31:11

I know its a little embarrassing, but I reckoned anything was worth a try to get ds2 to come on his own as I really didn't want to end up been induced again x

pinkteapot Sun 05-May-13 22:29:02

Am using the efamol ones as well, 2 or 3 orally and 1 or 2 internally at night. didnt use them in previous pregnancies so cant comment on efficacy - just feels better mentally to be doing something! Ad a pp said, lovely hair nails and skin so thats a bonus. mine are 500mg from local natural health shop...

willitbe Sun 05-May-13 22:46:40

I am not taking as not pregnant! But took it on my last pregnancy, I took it just 2 days before giving birth internally at night one capsule & three capsules orally.

I am convinced it is what saved me for tearing as I had on the two previous births. Despite the baby bring 2 lbs heavier than the previous ones!

I think the softening helped the birth definitely.

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 22:56:24

Thanks ladies! smile

I think I'm going to try and place a 1000mg tablet via vagina and not take anything orally as I don't want it to play havoc with my digestive system. Can't risk it.

ProtegeMoi Sun 05-May-13 23:30:35

I tried it, started with 1 capsule orally and 1 vaginally from 36 weeks and slowly increased the dose to 6 orally and 6 vaginally!

I was induced at 15 days overdue sad

beckie90 Mon 06-May-13 07:57:56

Oh yes I second what willitbe says, my first I tore very badly and he was 6ib 8, needed plenty of stitches, my second just grazed, needed no stitches, he was 9ib smile

ButteryJam Mon 06-May-13 17:49:30

Did anyone check with their midwife/GO about inserting it vaginally?

ButteryJam Tue 07-May-13 14:15:21

Ok just to give an update smile

I inserted it yesterday, was a little uncomfortable to be honest (I should have lubricated it with oil first), and I think it must have melted all inside as there was nothing on my pad this morning. So it wasn't too bad after all hmm

beckie90 Tue 07-May-13 14:31:15

No buttery I didn't, as I couldn't find any bad things about it on reading and plenty of women did it so just went along with it. I know not as bad as it seems really is it.

rrreow Tue 07-May-13 14:49:22

I did with DS1. Inserted 1 initially at night and I think I went to 2 at a certain point. Don't remember exactly! I inserted it just before going to sleep (after getting up for a final wee). I also took raspberry leaf tablets (orally obvs).

Planning to again now with DS2. Been taking raspberry capsules since 34w (lowest dose, will increase dose around 36-37w). And will start with the primrose oil around 36w.

I was induced at 38w first time around and had a 3 hour labour. It is possible I will have to be induced again this time so will do anything I can to help my body along as I don't like the idea of being induced when technically my body/baby isn't ready.

Art11114 Fri 04-Dec-15 02:17:18

I.ve just gave birth to my second baby 3 hours ago. I.ve only read mumsnet before and never contributed but this thread has I believe changed the way my labour went so I decided to write here. I was supposed to be induced tomorrow, but ended up with the birth pool delivery, nothing torn, arrived at 6 had my boy in my arms by 9. I started taking evening primrose 2 tablets 3 times daily 5 days before today and only 2 days ago I inserted a pill as pessary over night. I did walk a lot and this is my second which helped it get quicker. But I do believe the perineal massage with it helped to induce me. As the placenta was pulsating long after delivery we could have gone another week like with the first one.. I also started taking raspberry leaf at the same time and rubbed clary sage on my belly 3 consequtive days before delivery. I.m going to keep taking those remedies for better healing and take arnica homeopathic pills for extra quick healing after birth. Good luck to you all expecting labour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now