Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I'm in so much pain...

(10 Posts)
Dittle Sun 05-May-13 02:35:29

So I'm 10w 1d pregnant and my midwife has diagnosed me with sciatica. I can barely walk and have to get help to stand up. I'm in absolute agony 24/7, and I just can't get a break from the pain. It starts in my lower back/butt and goes all down my left leg and part way down my right.

Does anyone have any ideas at all on how to cope with this? My midwife told me to refer myself to a physiotherapist but they won't give me an appointment until I'm sixteen weeks and then I get put on a huge waiting list.

I just don't know how I'm going to handle 30+ more weeks of this.

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 06:39:09

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain! Have you considered contacting a local osteopath to see if he or she can help?

I had PGP/SPD around 20 weeks and one trip to the osteopath fixed me. I'm hoping you'll be just as lucky!

MummyJetsetter Sun 05-May-13 09:20:13

I suffer with sciatica too but luckily it comes and goes! I know what the pain is like so must be hell to have it constantly! My mw said if I wanted physio she'd arrange it for me, you must be in a bit of a crap area for that kind of thing. If I were you I'd go to the gp and ask for an immediate referral. Sounds horrible! x

looneytune Sun 05-May-13 09:37:53

Was also going to recommend Osteopath. I had terrible SPD at 12 weeks and could hardly walk and they fixed me with 3 sessions. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain, I do feel for you! x

MissLurkalot Sun 05-May-13 09:38:19

Osteopath. Find the money and just go.
Life changing!

Dittle Sun 05-May-13 11:48:28

Thanks for the replies, I have considered an Osteopath but I don't actually have any kind of income at the moment because I'm a full time student. My boyfriend pays for everything and we can barely afford to eat at the moment. I don't get any income until September and I really just can't wait that long.

ButteryJam Sun 05-May-13 11:50:58

Dittle, just so you are aware, some osteopaths give discount to students. Mine gave 25% off, so worked out at £30 a session. Maybe worthwhile giving them a call.

Dittle Sun 05-May-13 11:54:38

I didn't know that! I'll call them and check, maybe we can scrape enough money together smile thanks a lot smile

LouiseD29 Sun 05-May-13 12:56:33

Can you get some codeine prescribed to help with the pain? GP told me it's fine in first trimester, only a potential issue later on.

Dittle Sun 05-May-13 14:03:02

Although I'm in a lot of pain I'm not taking any painkillers just to be on the safe side. Nice idea though smile thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now