Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleep... Lack of it.. Does anyone have any tips on how to get comfy?

(10 Posts)
Newtobecomingamum Sun 05-May-13 01:35:55

I have struggled for several months now with sleeping and poor hubby has been in the spare room for the last 3 months as he can't fit in the bed with all the pillows I have/need around me. I just can't get comfortable and am tossing and turning. Also, I was so use to always sleeping in my right side before I was pregnant but then got told its not good for you and is better to sleep on your left side. I recon im getting about 3-4 hours sleep (disturbed as getting up to wee or tossing and turning)if im lucky. I really struggled at first with the lack of sleep but my body has just got use it now : ( I know when I have thd baby I will be up quite a bit throughout the night but at least I will be able to get a good few hours of proper sleep without having to toss and turn every few minutes as im so uncomfortable! Anyway, I wanted to share a clip but couldn't copy the link from you tube but it's called Pregnancy: how to sleep. It has helped me so much (from not being able to sleep/get comfy at all) to being able to get a bit of sleep. Can't wait to sleep in the sane bed a hubby again once baby is born. We have tried on a few occasions but I just keep waking him up! I have actually forgotten what's its like to have a good night comfortable sleep. Does anyone else have any tips? X

Want2bSupermum Sun 05-May-13 01:41:48

I had a terrible time with DS. I tried every possibly way and found sleeping on the sofa at a 45 angle with my feet in the air worked best. The two seater sofa was perfect for me. With DD I slept in the bath for the last month. It was so darn hot and the cold metal bath felt wonderous.

MummyJetsetter Sun 05-May-13 09:27:53

Just sleep on your right! It's only guidelines and it won't do any harm. Honestly I wake up on my back every morning then get terrible trapped wind from it squashing my bowels but I doubt it's doing any harm to the baby. I used to do it with ds1 too and he was fine. x

Bunnychan Sun 05-May-13 09:39:15

I usually sleep on my right- my baby's back is towards the right and my bump feels so much more supported. I sleep in the spare bed, lol, the mattress is softer and gives me support. I can't remember the last time I slept in the same bed as DP! Lately, I've been waking up on my back too but I'm just trusting my body and I'm glad of any sleep. Plus I'm sure cave women didn't know about left or right sides and we're all still here lol :-) x

HeffalumpTheFlump Sun 05-May-13 09:52:25

The only thing that has helped me is a memory foam mattress topper. It was the cheapest one I could find off the Internet and I have gone from having 20 minutes of sleep at a time maximum to 2 to 3 hours (then I need to pee!). My issue was pain in my hips and legs and this has sorted it completely. Before that I was packing pillows around myself desperately trying to get comfy and it didn't help. The only advice I found that helped was to not only put a pillow between the knees, put one between the ankles too, it seemed to take away some of the pain in my legs.

fatandlumpy Mon 06-May-13 06:21:11

I've got one of those wrap-around pregnancy pillows you can also use as a nursing pillow once 'Baba' is out.... It's a similar shape to the Ebola virus (if that helps at all!).

I sleep on my left and I have to admit - the pillow is amazing. It props me up a bit (have awful heartburn at night) and it supports my entire bump. I tuck the tail inbetween my legs as well.

Cost about 40 quid (I know... pricy) but (for me) it does work really well.

beachesandbuckets Mon 06-May-13 07:16:35

Both have separate double duvets, then you don't disturb him with your wriggling and you can mould the duvet around your back curve, bump, support your legs. On third pregnancy (this one twins) and have slept like a baby (excuse the pun) during all three with this trick, plus if you have a spare duvet lying around, no cost! Good luck! X

beachesandbuckets Mon 06-May-13 07:19:59

Ps I have never slept on right or left specifically, whatever is comfy and has made no difference to first two babies.

PPS. You may find that husband decamps to spare room once baby is born, mine lasted 3 days in our room, his argument was that he was working and needed his sleep and most friends dh's did likewise smile

atrcts Mon 06-May-13 12:56:32

I was told by my midwife that it's ok to sleep however you like but you need at least one pillow rather than being completely flat. That way, no harm to baby, apparently.

Also, if you lie on any position whig makes you feel faint then move - again, for the sake of both you and the baby. Otherwise no worries regarding positions wink

ButteryJam Mon 06-May-13 13:18:03

I bought one of those pregnancy pillows, but only used it for 2 weeks and now is sitting in the spare room!

How is your mattress? Make sure you have a super comfy one.

I don't know how many weeks you are, but have you listened to any of the hypnotherapy CDs? They always put me to sleep!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now