Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

28 weeks - Painful pressure in rectum & cervix area?

(5 Posts)
SusanaS Sat 04-May-13 10:59:21

Hello Ladies,

Hoping I can get a bit of advice if poss smile I'm 28 weeks with my 3rd baby and over the last couple of days I've had this pressure/pain that feels like it's at the top of my rectum mostly. Sometimes the pain moves over to the top of my cervix (well that's what it feels like). Last night I couldn't sleep because the pain kept waking me up. It's uncomfortable to walk and sit as well.

When the baby moves she does feel very low down but I know there's no way I should be engaged at this stage.

Is this common? A normal pregnancy symptom? Or should call someone to get it checked out?

AllSWornOut Sat 04-May-13 22:01:19

I've been watching this thread all day hoping for someone to respond as I have a similar problem (although I'm a couple of weeks earlier than you). No-one has used the word "engaged" but my scan and last mw appointment revealed the baby's head lying very low. I'm finding it pretty uncomfortable too but not quite to the extent you are - I've started wearing a support belt during the day if I know I'll be walking around fair bit which does help.

I'm hoping it's not a sign of problems as I have a business trip next week and then we're off on hols the week after! Perhaps give your mw a call if you're not sure - specially if you're in pain perhaps she'll be able to give you some advice on how to alleviate it? Hope you find some relief for the discomfort soon.

hartmel Sat 04-May-13 23:10:58

I'm 22 weeks, and have the problem..I'm now on sick leave, because I work in an office where I sit a lot and when I get up baby puts pressure on there and gets then very painful.. Now that I'm home, I rest a lot. Kind of being on bed rest helps to reduce the baby's head pressure down below and I have less pain now..

I notice when I'm sitting a lot (such as at someone's house, in church or even at home for lunch or supper) the pain gets worse and I can't barely move because of the pain..

My baby hates the support belt, but I use it when I know I'm walking a lot or due some house work

Good luck

SusanaS Sun 05-May-13 10:04:29

Thank you so much for your replies smile It's kind of nice to know I'm not alone, even though I wouldn't wish anyone to be feeling so uncomfortable! I hope you're ok for your trips AllSWordOut smile

It is probably nothing to worry about....just one of those inconvenient downsides of pregnancy. I will check it out with a MW on Tuesday though (not sure who I would call over the weekend?)

I might try a support belt but to be honest I haven't actually been doing that much as I've been mega exhausted too.

Hartmel, did your doc or midwife give you any indication of what might be the cause of this?

hartmel Mon 06-May-13 05:31:15

No the doc didn't, it apparently is normal. Not all pregnant women get it, just the odds. I guess we one of them..
I just know it runs in the family, that if you are expecting a boy (which I'm) the baby's position is lower..

Since I'm on bed rest baby has moved up a little bit, once I notice it turns or starts being active more below, I right away go to bed and lie on my left side. Takes pressure of right away..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now