Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

witch hazel or tea tree?

(6 Posts)
forgetmenots Sat 04-May-13 08:05:00

Packing my hospital bag at the moment and I've seen different recommendations about what to soak pads in/use for healing/--generally squirt on your bits-- postnatally.

Witch hazel and tea tree have both been mentioned as soothing but they sting like nothing else on broken skin! Can this be true? Which one is it?!

wispa31 Sat 04-May-13 09:08:44

i think its witch hazel they say to soak your nappies pads in. they are even more lush when kept in fridge too apparently. tea tree i think ive seen peeps mention adding it to bath water/ jug of water for pouring on your bits when you pee.
im sooo not looking forward to the pads bit after, i only ever use tampax as i dont like to feel stuff coming out (sorry tmi) and never feel clean/fresh with pads.

forgetmenots Sat 04-May-13 09:49:19

Ahhh thanks for clearing that up!! I had visions of me burning my bits with the wrong thing! smile

pinkteapot Sat 04-May-13 11:10:45

tea tree should always be diluted! with water in a bath or in a carrier oil. think the witch hazel you can use neat on a pad...

slightly aside - if you put salt in your sitz baths after the birth, make sure its tiny amounts, a teaspoon in a bath, less if you're just dunking your bum in a container!! too much salt can slow healing as it is corrosive. discovered after weeks of poorly healing stitches with dc1...

wispa31 Sat 04-May-13 12:52:17

pink - ouchy!!! sad
god sometimes i wish i was a man.

forgetmenots Sat 04-May-13 17:29:19

Top tips pinkteapot smile thanks!!! Only sorry you had to experience it before passing on the wisdom about salt...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now