Talk

Advanced search

What does SPD feel like?

(8 Posts)
MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 03-May-13 13:17:09

Hi

The fact I need to ask might mean I don't have it. Am 33 weeks and finding it difficult to move around due to pains in my lower back. I also have shooting pains around the cervix area when I walk down stairs.

Might just be general pregnancy pains but I am finding it difficult to cope. I think I also have a mild fluy thing which could be causing the pain to be worse.

Obviously the Dr (!) is the best person to diagnosis if anything is wrong but just wanted to ask SPD suffers if they'd mind sharing.

TIA

RachaelH1983 Fri 03-May-13 14:20:13

Hi I am suffering with SPD and have had it since I was about 22 wks I'm now 38 wks. My experience of SPD to begin with was achy hips and pelvis area. The pain would be worse whilst I was walking, I would get pains in my tummy usually down one side and my hips was clicky. Now its agony. I hardly sleep because I can't get comfy. I am on paracetomol and codine for the pain which my consultant has reassured me its fine to take instead of suffering. I have to walk my dd to school in the morning + I find that's the worse time of the day. I would advise u to tell ur midwife nxt time u c her/him as u can get referrred for phsyio and also get pregnancy belts+crutches if needed unlucky for me mine wasn't spotted earlier enough so I just get condine !! If it gets really bad u also have to be careful on how u deliver as it can cause damage to ur pelvis which cannot be repaired. Like I said ring ur midwife or labour ward + ask for some advice and they will be able to tell u for def. I hope this helps I felt like I was going mad when my SPD started because the only way I could expalin the pain/discomfort was to say it felt like I had been kicked down below as I always had a dull ache and it felt like the baby was going to fall out lol. Hope u get it sorted.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 03-May-13 19:03:45

Oooh Rachael I am wincing reading your reply. I really feel for you.

Not sure what I have is as bad as what you have. Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for sharing and hope you can manage the pain until yr DC arrives.

RachaelH1983 Sat 04-May-13 08:26:04

Only advice I can give if u do have it is try + keep ur pelvis aligned this will help loads so like getting out of bed and the car keep ur closed. I have a c-section on wednesday so only a few more days of suffering

Heathbaby Sat 04-May-13 09:09:55

Hi I have SPD. Tell your Doctor and push for a physio appt as soon as possible, even if its not that bad yet. And look at previous threads here - best advice is to have constant mindset of 'short skirt no knickers' (ie don't open legs wide, walk fast, or ever run). Slowing down a bit, avoiding heavy lifting and stairs where possible has made a huge difference to me. smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 08-May-13 17:40:46

Thanks for your support.

I went straight to an osteopath as I have limited time before my mat leave so was concerned about goinf to doc and then waiting for a referal.

He did a bit of poking about and said most of the things suggested on here.

It is mild which is good and with any luck it will stay that way if I rest.

Wishing you all well with your pregnancies. Thanks again.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Wed 08-May-13 17:41:45

Hope your csect went well Rachael today.

DXBMermaid Wed 08-May-13 17:54:45

Without wanting to be crass, it feels like you've been kicked in the fanjo. In combination with feeling like knives are being stabbed in my thighs. Add to this, painful muscles in bum and inner thighs. It's worse when turning in bed (can not lie on back), when getting up or when sitting on a chair that is too hard or too low.
Basically it hurts a lot. Warm showers help as does being in a pool. Chiropractor 1x week keeps me off pain meds apart from the odd paracetamol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now