Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

3rd Trimester weight gain?

(9 Posts)
Autumn12 Fri 03-May-13 12:16:49

This is my first pregnancy so it's all new to me.

I have just entered the 3rd trimester and am wondering if this is the stage when the weight usually piles on?

I have put on about a stone in the first 2 trimesters but mainly boobs and bump as everyone keeps telling me that I've not gained weight anywhere else. Luckily, they can't see the vast amounts of cellulite that seems to have sprung up on my thighs and bum blush.

Also, at what point do the stretch marks typically start to spring up? I've had really dry skin since being pregnant and have been having to use Oilatum cream to stop the itching. This means that I haven't been using any of the special stretch mark oils that I bought yet. Although, I know that they probably won't stop them.

Rockchick1984 Fri 03-May-13 14:37:18

Everyone's weight gain is different - personally I gained about a stone in the 3rd trimester which I think is about average (it's usually around 1lb a week in second and third trimesters). Some people find they can't eat much in late pregnancy so weight gain would slow down.

Re stretch marks, mine appeared after I'd given birth angry but I think usually its around 38 weeks onwards. Any moisturiser will help keep the skin supple, but no stretch mark creams or moisturisers will penetrate deeply enough to prevent them. Mine were pretty much invisible by the time DS was 6 months if that makes you feel any better smile

Beamur Fri 03-May-13 14:45:12

I never weighed myself when I was pregnant.
Not everyone gets stretch marks either, but I suspect it's genetic rather than skin creams! Saying that I used bio-oil and didn't get any despite my massive bump.
Don't worry about it too much, personally I think pregnant women all look lovely and I thoroughly enjoyed my bump.
Eat healthily and remember you only need a fairly small 'extra' amount of calories a day for your growing baby.

StormyBrid Fri 03-May-13 14:53:54

Stretch marks for me only appeared in the last six weeks. Went from none to covered pretty quickly. Weight gain in the third trimester was a bit scary, to the tune of two stone, but that was entirely my own fault as the third trimester was a bit of a cake-fest.

Autumn12 Fri 03-May-13 14:56:37

This whole pregnancy (well past the early 1st trimester) has been a bit of a cake and ice cream fest for me. I thought I was doing well to have only gained a stone so far. I 'm wondering if it's all going to suddently catch up with me.

BraveLilBear Fri 03-May-13 15:09:39

Hi Autumn, I'm in the same boat as you - just in the third trimester and braced for the weight to pile on. I've also put on about a stone so far and very worried about the final stretch (scuse the pun).

Because I'm getting bigger and my hips/coccyx etc are hurting more, I'm now walking a bit less and terrified that will accelerate the weight gain! Eek.

Stretchmarks also really scare me. Fingers crossed for an easy ride where we only put on baby weight, don't get chubby cheeked and remain stretchmark free!

schmaddington Fri 03-May-13 15:39:58

I am 30 weeks and have gained almost 3 stone. Am very very upset with myself and embarassed to be seen out sad

Moomoomee Fri 03-May-13 15:42:07

I piled on weight in the last trimester for some reason. Gained a stone up until then and two stone after! But then I was ravenously hungry all the time.

CareerGirl01 Fri 03-May-13 17:29:21

I managed to put on a stone in my last trimester but all those women worried about weight gain should read this thread!
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/1744220-Wondering-how-do-celebrity-mums-stay-so-slim-not-that-Im-worried-just-an-observation

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now