Talk

Advanced search

Going to the farm

(6 Posts)
littleomar Fri 03-May-13 12:08:58

I'm nearly 11 weeks and planning to go to a farm at the weekend (a visiting farm with a soft play not a proper one). I have got a vague notion that you're not supposed to be around sheep because of listeriosis risk. NHS website says around lambing time but I don't know when that is! (disclaimer: I grew up in the country, but it was all cows round us)

tia

Pootles2010 Fri 03-May-13 12:10:06

It's lambing time now, but just don't touch them or go too near and you'll be fine.

Rhubarb78 Fri 03-May-13 12:27:17

The advice from the kiddie farm we were going to earlier in the week was for pregnant women to avoid contact with sheep, lambs and goats

beth27123 Fri 03-May-13 12:39:03

I wouldn't worry too much, most lambing is finished. The only thing you need to worry about is the after birth and most public farms don't allow public where sheep are in labour or heavily pregnant. I've worked through so far and been fine, just make sure you wash your hands plenty of times.

NoTeaForMe Fri 03-May-13 12:59:47

To be safe I wouldn't stroke/feed the sheep/lambs or goats/kids but really the only concen comes from handling the placenta or the newborns...highly unlikely you or the farm would want you to do that anyway!

littleomar Fri 03-May-13 19:36:02

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now