Talk

Advanced search

Egg mayonnaise sandwiches

(9 Posts)
whiterose2011 Fri 03-May-13 11:46:58

Stupid question really but can you eat these whilst pregnant? I've gone off most foods but keep thinking about M&S egg mayo sarnies! Please tell me you can or I might actually cry! wink

ginmakesitallok Fri 03-May-13 11:48:25

confused Why wouldn't you be able to??? I might avoid homemade mayo - but not the mass produced pasteurised stuff

whiterose2011 Fri 03-May-13 11:54:02

I don't know. I had it in my head that pregnant women shouldn't eat mayonnaise coz it had raw egg in it?!

EuroShaggleton Fri 03-May-13 11:55:31

The shop bought stuff is pasturised and so will be fine.

MightBeMad Fri 03-May-13 11:56:16

Most mayo is absolutely fine - commercially produced stuff is made with pasteurised egg yolks. Homemade stuff is best avoided if you want to be cautious but I think an M&S egg sandwich, eaten fresh (not left unrefridgerated for any great length of time) ought to be fine! Enjoy smile

LunaticFringe Fri 03-May-13 11:57:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 03-May-13 12:03:43

Absolutely fine - I'm living on the at the moment!

If you buy them packaged, they will be pasteurised (ie no raw egg) but if you buy from a cafe/bakery then I'd always check it was pasteurised. Some places still make their own on site.

I've had to turn down quite a few starters of calamari in restaurants recently because the aioli (sp?) dip wasn't pasteurised. I was quite sad.

Bunnylion Fri 03-May-13 12:27:26

Even if mayo is homemade and not pasteurised, so long as its made with British Lion stamped eggs its fine.

The risk with raw eggs is the pregnant woman getting food poisoning from salmonella. British lion stamped eggs are from British hens that have all been vaccinated.

whiterose2011 Fri 03-May-13 19:16:06

Thanks ladies! I enjoyed a very tasty egg mayo sandwich at lunch! Yum yum! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now